Optimum SVO/Diesel mix?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Optimum SVO/Diesel mix?

Post by XantiaMan »

I am currently using a 25% SVO / 75% diesel mix in my Xantia, no difference in starting and a slight whiff of popcorn :)

I want to retain all the normal starting and running chracteristics, so what is the point at which i will start noticing changes? Will a 50/50 mix be ok?

Also i've heard some people change nozzles and advance timing (it takes longer to burn) but is that really worth doing for a mix?

Also what is the comparable cetane rating of veggie oil i.e rapeseed to normal diesel? I'm thinking of occasionally using Shell V-Power diesel and Redex diesel injector cleaner to keep the system in good health.

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Shell V-Power supposedly contains a redex type substance along with synthetic diesel (so lower sulphur).

100% is fine for me down to about 15C
Drives the same as on derv.
I just wait a couple of seconds after the glow plug light goes out (they're still energized) and she starts first time.

I'm filling with KTC (or is it KJC I always get the two mixed up, one makes veg oil, the other makes airsoft guns) soya vegetable oil which is thicker than rapeseed.
Bunged a bottle of redex in with the last 20L bottle and it really just sat on the top of the oil, though I don't know if it will mix better in the tank with driving/time to settle, or how well it actually mixes with derv.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Same here, 100% rapeseed oil is ok until the weather cools; anything less than 10C and the car starts ok but "hunts" a bit for the first minute - after that it's fine.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

100% corn oil for me, cheaper than costco to get it from sainsburys i have found in 2 litre tubs :D

I warm the plugs while getting into the car and getting my bits sorted then clock the ignition off and back on(kicks the bloomin traffic master into life though :( ) and then move the key to the plugs starting to warm again and kick it over. this way the plugs stay on for longer when the engine is running :) IN winter i put 5-10 litre of derv in a tank then veg on top and a quick drive to mash it up and when very cold some Vpower petrol to mix in :)
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

I saw this fuel heater on E-Bay. Got the first hint of it on the vegetableoildiesel.co.uk forum.

Would this help with the hunting you were describing? I'm thinking about this unit but not sure if it's switchable from inside the car or not or if it stays on full time once the ignition is on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=007
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

To be honest, the hunting stops as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator, and only lasts a minute if I don't.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jasoncort
My Cars:

Post by jasoncort »

I have been using wvo for 4 years now. sometimes i use svo. My wife just uses petrol. I a very high percentage of oil 90% or more. Small leaks do develop. If you want to run veggie without becoming a nerd up to 50% would make little difference to starting and running. Rapeseed oil is cheapest and best unless like me you use wvo which is free
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

the opinion on the veggie forum is that any car based electric device isnt worth the money as the amount of real heat it kicks out is pitiful compared to what is needed. best thing to buy is a Hot Start kit to pre warm your engine using your house electrical supply about 30mins before you want to set off and then use a good heat insulater in winter to maybe wrap around the IP??