Xantia 1.9TD Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia 1.9TD Clutch

Post by CitroJim »

My recent holiday trip to the West Country towing and taking day trips to Porlock and Lynton and Lynmouth has exposed a weakness in my TD clutch. It smelt terribly on the 1 in 4 hill between Lynmouth and Lynton :twisted:

Still, it got us home Ok but it will need replacing in the not too distant.

I'm confused now. My TD is an early one with a traditional "push" clutch. I know later TDs had the "pull" clutch but GSF make no distinction, listing only one kit for all 1.9TDs. Are they the same? They list a separate kit for the 1.9D and I'm wondering if this is the one for an early TD?

Also, I have a clutch kit in stock for my 205GTi in readiness for its gearbox overhaul but that is in the more distant future. Anyone know if the GTi kit will fit the 1.9TD?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Some of the info you are looking for may be in the Quinton Hazell clutch parts catalogue:

http://www2.qha.com/catalogues.asp
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

AFAIK all Xantia 1.9TDs had the pull clutch. What makes you think it's a push clutch? Check the top of gearbox while someone else operates the clutch - the outer of the cable should operate the release lever, whilst the inner stays stationary.

PS Just checked Citroen-service, and there is nothing other than the pull clutch listed for 1.9TD :roll:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jeremy,

Thanks for the QH link. Very useful :D They're different :(
RichardW wrote:AFAIK all Xantia 1.9TDs had the pull clutch. What makes you think it's a push clutch?
Richard, you have me thinking now. I based it on the belief that as the cable has adjusting nuts on the inner whereas all the pull clutches I've seen do not have these nuts. Unfortunately the car is stabled with the caravan some distance away so it'll be a day or so before I can have a look.

I've just had a look on pr.net and indeed the authority says all TDs have pull clutches but the 1.9D and SD have push clutches so that ends the confusion.

Richard, you're right and I'm wrong :oops: Thanks for that!

I think I'll also replace the cable :twisted: whilst I'm at it as the adjustment is right up to the limit and it's only just fully disengaging.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Didn't want you to go ripping it all apart, only to find the box wouldn't come off because of the release arm....

Pre about 97 the clutch cables were manual adjust with the nuts on the end (which seems very odd when the OUTER does the work - cables do my head in :roll: ).

Odd that it is coming in near the floor - usually when worn these clutches come in right near the top - although if the cable is well stretched that might account for it.

A Valeo clutch kit will be about £100 from GSF - given the major heartache of getting the box out on one of these I wouldn't fit anything else - it even comes with a 'free' alignment tool!

Have you already had the clutch pedal out to change the clip? If not, changing the cable will add 3 hours of back breaking work to the clutch job - and change the clip while you are there!

Don't forget to replace the input shaft seal and guide bush (available together cheaply) and the two nylon release fork bushes top and bottom of the bell housing. And hope that the pin in the release fork is not seized in..... :cry:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim the way to tell which clutch you have is if the inner cable goes to a fixed bracket bolted to the gear box and the out is on the fork lever, as Richard states on pull clutches its the outter which moves the fork lever not the inner
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard and Malcolm :D

Ahh, so nuts on the end of the inner is not a good indicator then...

The clutch clip worries me and I always carry a spare in the car, along with enough tools to change it. The low pedal has been a pre-existing problem ever since I've had the car. In fact, the clutch was dragging when I first picked it up and in the intervening 30,000 miles or so I've adjusted it twice and now it is at the end of adjustment.

I'm relieved in a way that the Activa has a hydraulic clutch and thus no clip but if the hydraulics ever fail... eek, serious money.

I'm in for a nice big job then, clutch, cable and clip. A job of heater matrix proportions :twisted: Better book a few days off from work to do it then...
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Good practice for when you do Cassy's clutch and gearbox *hint* *hint* *beg* :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Jim, does your clutch feel heavy? Mine always has and I read that's a good indication of clutch wear but in 3k miles it doesn't slip, just judders and needs a delicate foot pressure to avoid grabbing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Good practice for when you do Cassy's clutch and gearbox *hint* *hint* *beg* :D
Hint taken.... :D :D :D We'll duscuss over a cup of tea....
MikeT wrote:Jim, does your clutch feel heavy? Mine always has and I read that's a good indication of clutch wear but in 3k miles it doesn't slip, just judders and needs a delicate foot pressure to avoid grabbing.
Mike, yes, compared to dad's 205D which I've just replaced the clutch it feels like lead but is not much heavier than my GTi which also could do with a new clutch. They do seem to get heavier as they wear and this is in part caused by your symptoms. The judder and grabbing is caused by the release bearing (which is always in light contact with the diaphragm spring) wearing an ever deeper groove in the spring fingers. This was exactly the reason I replaced the clutch in Dad's. The plate was perfect but the spring had a good 2mm groove worn in it. It's not fatal and it has to wear some yet before it lets you down but it does put a lot more pressure than is desirable on the cable and more importantly, the cable clip. A nice clutch makes so much difference to the feel of the car so it is worth doing.
Jim

lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Richard, what IS the Decap?
Must weld the decap...must weld the decap...must weld the decap...must weld the decap...must weld the decap
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

lolingram wrote:Richard, what IS the Decap?
Must weld the decap...must weld the decap...must weld the decap...must weld the decap...must weld the decap
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ight=decap
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

:)

And next year, now I have installed new kitchen and bathroom, renewed the central heating, landscaped the garden, underpinned the back wall, I might even get to it! Just the whole house (inside and out) to decorate including new floor coverings to lay, and a new drive to lay. And this wasn't supposed to be a project house :roll: No wonder I have just had to take the ZX to the garage to get the wheelbearing and wishbone bushes changed :evil:
Richard W