driveshafts and service.net

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

driveshafts and service.net

Post by elma »

Replacing a driveshaft I notice that one of the gearbox to driveshaft oilseals looks like it is missing the outer seal. I can't get a picture off pr.net to see. Its letting me log in but not actually do anything and has been like this for a while.

Could anybody please go grab the page I need and put it here or send it to me.

Car is '94 xantia 1.9td lx by the way

Thanks
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not quote sure what you mean. The seals are different - one is larger than the other. If it wasn't leaking when you pulled the shaft then it is all there - it doesn't take much to make these leak!
Richard W
elma

Post by elma »

I don't think it is all there though. I know there should be a black rubber ring seal on the gearbox where I have pulled out the driveshaft. THere is not one. There is instead a metal crown with looks like a bearing race.
Its not obvious how a seal goes on top of this but it is obviously wrong.
I still aren't allowed to view the pictures on pr net, has anyone got a copy of the one with the driveshaft seals?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Here's the pic from citroen-service:

Totally useless!

The seals are not dear - if you think it's bust, then just fit a new one. There are some reasonable pics in Haynes if I remember correctly.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Richard says, if in any doubt at all replace them. they're pennies from GSF and ever so easy to fit. It's a good idea to replace them anyway when disturbing the driveshafts.

Most have little white cog-like inserts in them. This I believe, helps protect the seal if the end of the shaft brushes past it during installation.

I think I know the bit you mean though Elma, the rubber disc seal that goes on the long driveshaft and rests against the speedo drive housing. The pr.net picture does not show it and it'll be a dealer only part.

It's called a deflector and is available under part No. 3255 03 until RP7610 and then replaced by 3255 07

They're not essential though. My 205 has never had one
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the seal was missing - you would have lost all g/b oil within few minutes :!:

Before you stick in your driveraxles again, be really sure the seal faces on the axles are clean and lubed with grease or g/b oil.
Also be very cautious when inserting he axle. The splines have very sharp edges and will easily damage the new seals :cry:
Thats why in some cases you get an odd plastic thingy in the box with new seals if you buy genuine parts. That plastic thingy is a protective sleeve to cover the splines while inserting the axle.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
elma

Post by elma »

nope, not the right seal, its the n/s one and its not on the driveshaft.
It is the one on the gearbox which sits around where the driveshaft slots in.
Gsf reckon they don't stock it and so its a citroen job, but I cant get down there til friday and the cars going back together today cos I'm fed up waiting now.

Looks like no seal for this car.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

"Gsf reckon they don't stock it "

So what's this then?

N31170 DIFF SEAL-LH/RH XANTIA LH 3.70

Scotch mist???? :lol:

The description is a bit misleading though, as it's only a LH one. It's not actually a lot more expensive from Citroen anyway.
Richard W
elma

Post by elma »

Thanks, looks like it'll get one after all.