ZX TD Aura - Rear Brakes Locking Up

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

My TD does a similar thing on a cold start. I presumed it was glow plugs, but a new set of Beru plugs didn't make any difference. It's definitely worse when the weather is cold, and leaving it a few seconds after the light goes out seems to help. It doesn't splutter straight away either - normally after a couple of seconds, accompanied by white smoke.

I do wonder if the leak-off pipes are going off, but how would an air leak give white smoke? Maybe it's a poorly sealing valve.

The strange thing is that it starts INSTANTLY when cold, but might turn over for a second or two before firing when hot.

I've had it for over three years now, and it hasn't got any better or worse, so I'm not too concerned.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Small amounts of air cause misfires - and a partial charge of fuel is injected late - and so is not burnt - and is blown out of the exhaust. You can see this if you try and start the car from cold without heating it properly - you will get a puff of white smoke (unburnt fuel) out of the exhaust first.

The poorer hot start problem is common and nothing to worry about. What happens is that the hit engine seals better and its compression is greater - and strangely the engine cranks slower.

If it really worries you check the battery capacity, and the starter and earth leads and their connections. If there is a problem - then I'd expect the lead or connection to get hot. A more accurate check would be to connect a meter in parallel (ie battery negative and starter body) and set it to volts (20 first then reduce). Operate the starter and if the voltage drop is more than about 0.1 volts then there is a problem in that circuit.
jeremy
aimcarthur

Post by aimcarthur »

Thanks everyone for the information. Will have a look at the leak off pipes. New battery just installed and will check the glow plugs resistance.

Brakes sorted, good clean up of the drums!

Many thanks.