Changing LHM/Hydraflush on Xantia (with pics)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Changing LHM/Hydraflush on Xantia (with pics)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Northern_Mike wrote:It can in theory ruin the seals but just because the bottle is in the boot doesn't mean it's been used :-)

When I drained the LHM from my Activa it was the colour of brown beer with bits in.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
My Activa is leaking so bad from the rear suspender seal that I think it has changed itself in the last few weeks.....the deck hands on the ferry were pointing at the mess on the car deck as I unloaded :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Mine did that when the PAS return went, lost the whole tank a few times over the week, when i fixed it I had lovely green stuff and its still good now
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
cootafrog
My Cars: 1926 Cit. B12
1985 CX 2.5
1997 Xantia
2013 C4
2 x R12's
504 Diesel & 505 Familiale
Plus Triumph 2000, Triumph Renown, Vanguard 6, Ferguson Tractor, Subaru Forester!

Post by cootafrog »

A very useful article, but I have a problem. Vehicle is 1997 Xantia Petrol 8 valve auto. Can't get the Tank off the "peg". I have been told that some had a clip that needed releasing, but can't see. Any reason not to assume it's just stuck to the grommet - and just keep trying to work it?
Thanks - in hope ... . Paul
Narinder1978
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 Hdi Forte (My current commuter)
XM 2.1 TD SED (Awaiting restoration)
BX 1.9 GTi 16v (Regret selling)
ZX 1.9 TD (Got me through Uni days)

Post by Narinder1978 »

Hi everyone, hope you all well.

I know this post is old but I have only just come round to stumbling across some hydraflush so this post is very useful for me as a first timer giving the hydraulics a service.

One question though - would it be worth changing out the spheres at the same time? Mine have not needed doing for a few years but the time is approaching and just thought it would make sense especially to ensure the fluid clean out out is as purest as can be.

Got my Xantia to do, but an upcoming purchase for a BX 16v which has been stood around would be prudent to do too.

Thanks in advance.
Regards Narinder
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The spheres are not at "dead ends" of pipework (unlike the brake calipers, which are), so new fluid in the system will get fairly thoroughly into the spheres, especially if you do a few full ups and downs.

I wouldn't change the spheres if the ride is still good, and both ends of the car are able to provide a soft ride. You may as well get as much life out of them as you can. Being in the UK, you should be able to get hold of new spheres quickly when needed. I wouldn't buy new ones and keep them on the shelf for a far-off rainy day, as they do deteriorate (gas loss) in storage much as they do on the car.

And another BX! \:D/

If you are to have two fluid Citroens to look after, it might be worth looking at the C720 re-gassing tool from Tecnosir. Together with a cylinder of nitrogen, this allows you to check sphere pressures, and top them up - or set them to a different pressure, where that is suitable (eg using a hydractive centre spheres in the Accumulator position). Worth checking sphere pressures every 2-3 years, and maybe (if you have the re-gassing kit) using genuine Citroen spheres, rather than the cheaper aftermarket ones, as these have longer life.
Chris
Narinder1978
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 Hdi Forte (My current commuter)
XM 2.1 TD SED (Awaiting restoration)
BX 1.9 GTi 16v (Regret selling)
ZX 1.9 TD (Got me through Uni days)

Post by Narinder1978 »

Thanks Chris

I think I will invest in the re-gassing equipment as I actually have 3 in the collection, Xantia, XM and upcoming BX. I would like to say that’s my limit but if by luck I come across an in condition CX for the right price I may be tempted. I take your point though, if they don’t need doing (spheres) then I’ll wait. Plenty of other jobs that need money spending on. Thanks for the advice