Leaky Bosch Pump: Success Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

TehAgent wrote:Any news Jim, or is it dead :(

Really missing me motor now lol

More importantly, is it fixable?
No worries Ian,

In answer to the first: No, it's alive and kicking :P

It's just about fixed :D :D A huge adventure, the car (and original pump) has been fighing against us all day but we won! At this juncture I shall offer massive thanks to Xac (Andy) for all his help this afternoon :D :D

The full story of today :wink:

I started by completing the job of drilling out the "rivets" on the duff pump to find they're not rivets at all but tamper-proof screws. Four came out Ok but the fifth screw is one of the ones that holds the High Pressure Distributor onto the pump body and is made of very high tensile steel. I wore out a whole pad of drills trying but it is harder than diamond :wink: Those pumps really are tamper proof :twisted:

Abandoning the old pump, I turned my attention to fitting the mechanical pump Andy brought around yesterday. I cleaned it up, filled it with rapeseed oil and turned it over a few times. All seemed good. I went to offer it up to the engine and the timing point was right on one of the pump lobes and it would not stay right where I wanted it to whilst fitting the sprocket back on. In the attempt to get the sprocket on with the cambelt still in place I lost the woodruff key :evil: :evil: It ended up behind the cambelt tensioner jockey :evil: :evil: OK, No worries, I'll have to have the rest of the cambelt covers off and slip the tensioner off to recover the woodruff key. It took me an hour of blood, sweat and tears (literally!) to get the bolt out of the rear cambelt cover :evil: :evil: :evil: Whoever had last tightened it must have used a breaker bar :evil: :evil: Finally my trusty crowsfoot did the trick. I had just got the bolt out when Andy arrived and from then on everything went a great deal better :D :D

The crankshat bolt was a bit of a trial and in the end we had to resort to jamming a T Bar under the wishbone and using the starter. As soon as we removed the lowest belt cover, the missing woodruff key dropped out. Relief!!! The corner had been turned!

The fitting of the replacement pump then went smoothly after that. We had huge difficulty getting the cambelt back on because when the pinch bolt was just slackend, the tensioner would not travel the full distance. It needed loosening off quite a bit and then we were home and dry.

We assembled just enough to allow a test start. On our first attempt to start there was nothing at all, lots of churing and no fire :twisted: Eventually it coughed, very reluctantly, into some sort of life. :D :D A good sign at least.

We rechecked the timing and it was out a little. About half a tooth on the cam and a tooth at least on the pump. We retimed it and on the next start :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :P :P She absolutely purrs. So good in fact, one of the turbo air hoses blew off quite spectacularly when it was revved because I'd not done up the jubilee clip :)

Success!!!!!

All is left now is to refit cambelt covers, tidy up, reassemble and arrange some electrics. I need to find a switched ignition for the stop solenoid and resolve a glowplug issue. Basically, if the ECU is left out, the glowplugs don't work. They work fine with the ECU in but naturally without a pump in place the Engine Management light stays on all the time.

So, to conclude, we have learned that a tamper-proof Bosch Pump is just that, impregnable. On a happier note, a fully mechanical pump works perfectly well with minimal mods. The throttle cable, fuel supply, leaksoffs and fuel return are all a straight swap, the fast idle nearly so.

Now, can anyone say if the ECU is necessary for anything other than operating the glowplug timer now. Does it do anything else we are not aware of that may cause problems if it is left out?

Does anyone know how to make the glowplug controller work independently of the ECU please?

Again, huge thanks again to you Andy, I really could not have done it without you :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Always happy to help Jim, you've saved my bacon enough times!
I'd love to know what happened in the car's history to make it so reluctant to be worked on, it really is a grumpy car.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: I'd love to know what happened in the car's history to make it so reluctant to be worked on, it really is a grumpy car.
It was no match for our combined might in the end though. I think we showed it who was boss :D

Seriously, I've not known a car present so may niggling problems. If it could be difficult, it surely was :roll: It really did seem it did not want to be fixed at one point.

We think it's pining for the scrapyard Ian, perhaps it has friends there :wink: Don't worry, we'll keep it away from there!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I believe somewhere on here are instructions for removing the keypad and the immobiliser on the pump.

Haynes shows glowplug wiring for pre 96 cars on p304. Haynes can be downloaded here:

http://xantia.rtkmail.ru/index.php?opti ... emid=50url

(the 82.45mb one is a PDF - the other one is jpg)
jeremy
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

citrojim wrote:
We think it's pining for the scrapyard Ian, perhaps it has friends there :wink: Don't worry, we'll keep it away from there!
Its not that my car wants to go to the scrap yard, quite the opposite in-fact, it just doesn't want to leave home...

I mean, gotta put this in perspective.

- The throttle cable snapped at home, after doing a 550mile trip the day before.

- The Air con pump sized its clutch, and then snapped the belt out side my house after id just come back from Northampton.

- The exhaust snapped at the back box, out side the house

- The Glow plugs needed changing because it wouldn't start first thing (out side the house lol)

- Then to top it off, leaking fuel pump, out side the house and left a rather nasty mess in the car park

Plus the fuel gauge tends to lie to you, so you have to come home because your not sure of just how much fuel you have.

its just a lazy car, and doesn't want to move any where farther than the car park. not saying i can blame it with some of the driving I've witnessed by others.
Last edited by TehAgent on 13 Aug 2007, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Maybe your house brings it bad luck?
Time to move :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good news all round. She sure likes her new pump :D after a 20 hour stop she started instantly this afternoon :D :D

Just got to reassemble and off she'll go. A job for this evening.

Dad has got the armour plate off the pump now. It took him ages to get the last anti-tamper screw out. he used a big hammer drill, on hammer, with a masonary bit running backwards. No damage done though.

The pump can now be stripped to see what is wrong and to service it.

Ian, what a very thoughtful car; only breaking down at home. She's special! Very considerate :lol:
Jim

TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

i have to agree, it could of been much worse, she could of broken down any where along that 550 mile trip, yet she held out long enough to do it once i had got home lol
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)