C5 Violent Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

jeremy wrote:Anders - presumably if C5 uses potentiometers to control the height the things become noisy after a while and will need replacing - just like a radio volume control. Is this noise the cause of strange behavior?

Do you think if the appropriate unit were dismantled the potentiometer would turn out to be a readily available component which could be simply fitted?
From the parts list schematic they look like more solid units than the wellknown throttle potientiometer sensors.
I believe the construction is much the same as the TPS - i.e. not just a simple carbontrack pot in the old style means. Such a type would wear out way too fast.

How they are actually made I donno. The last TPS I had my hands on were a Mitsu type from a '92 Galant. This felt like a perfectly moving bearing. No indication of any ever so slight sliding friction. It worked perfectly BTW after some 160Kmiles.
It was a sealed plastic unit.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thanks for that Anders - doesn't look as though that will be the problem - and no cheap fix either!

I'm always curious to know what actually fails in a unit - and if with some ingenuity or effort it can be repaired.
jeremy
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

AndersDK wrote:I believe that there is a general mis-assumption that the C5 would last almost forever in the suspension - because of the new sphere types used - and announced as "lasting forever".
It may be very true - that most of the C5 spheres will last 10 years no problem - with the odd exemption proving this rule.

But the rest of the system will surely prove to be as ever-lasting as the Xantia is :wink:
My C5 (2.0 HDI 110, non H3+) is 5 years old with nearly 80k miles, the suspension feels harder than new, certainly harder than dad's Picasso.

Are you suggesting it is unlikely to be the spheres? The rears were replaced 30k ago and made a massive difference. Now the front suspension feels hard.

Are there ny other common problems with the C5 suspension?

Ben
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

My 2001 2.2 C5 hdi was too firm for me, at about 65k it was obvious the spheres were starting to get harder, particularly the back. At 69k I bit the bullet and put 'comfort' spheres all round, in cluding the centre ones, and what a difference. The car almost floats now, dips at the front and the front lifts under accelaration from stand still.
I don't think there is any way the original spheres would last 5 years.
Of that 69k miles I have towed a caravan for about 4k.
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

Minor correction, the spheres did last for 5 years but I don't think they would achieve the 125k miles I was quoted when I was looking at C5's.
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage