URGENT: bouncing around

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Wow, Jeremy, thank you for that, been after a PDF Xantia Haynes for ages.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: success of a kind

Post by Mandrake »

mallyg wrote:At last i have some success and got the suspension to rise and fall as it should. Now all I need is to set the correct ride height. I know that you need to measure from the centre of the wheel to the front sub frame but how do I measure this distance whilst I am under the car. Do I have the engine running and the ride ride height set to normal when I measure. Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I am unsure of how to proceed now. Thanks :oops:
Hi Mally,

Have a look at the first two pages of the following diagrams for where and how to measure the height:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... ia_height/

As for actually adjusting it, the basic trick is to contrive to get the car at the height you want while the rollbar clamp is slackened, then tighten the clamp.

While the clamp is slack you can adjust the height with the manual height lever on the console (as you discovered) or by twisting and holding the clamp for a few seconds (as if the rollbar was turning it) to effect a height change.

Both usually give a coarse adjustment and there can be a lot of hit and miss getting it right that way. A way that I think Anders has suggested before is when you get reasonably close, loosen the clamp but don't fully slacken it, and use a small hammer and flat ended punch to tap the position of the clamp around just slightly then retighten it - effecting a small change.

To measure the height accurately you are supposed to do the following: (to allow for friction in the movement of the suspension etc)

Sit on the front, wait until it lifts you back up, get off, wait until it drops back down, measure the height - this is height one.

Now try to lift the front of the car by hand and hold it a few seconds - don't bust your back doing this... when it starts to drop away under you, release it, then after a few seconds it will rise again. Measure the height, and this is height 2.

Height 1 and 2 should be within 20mm of each other, and ideally not more than about 10mm different. Take the average of the two as your ride height.

Ride height is fairly fussy for good ride and handling (Citroen's spec is +7mm / -10mm) so its worth going to the trouble of getting it right.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who replied to my query. Its nice to know that there is help out there when a problem arises.

:D
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension