Front plastic height corrector lever

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I managed to raise the car a little higher today and could see enough to attempt replacing the corrector arm.

The front end popped off with the right leverage as did the new replacement pop back on.

However, unlike the two previous times, the rear ball wasn't aligned close enough to pop the rear end on as I couldn't lower the front suspension (or in this case, raise the front wheels).

What I did discover was that the corrector arm could be levered backwards enough to line the joint up (if only I knew this before!!) - and it became apparent just how worn the old arm was as it required far more pressure to pop the new on!

Both felt washers were present and seemed in good condition but I can't work out what their purpose is as they just seem to sit behind the ball doing nothing.

Once again, thanks to this forum and the kindness of human nature that make it possible =D>
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mike,

Excellent work 8)

Those felt washers are there to help keep warter and dirt out of the balljoint and grease in. They should rest up tight against the bottom of the balljoint and should be well soaked in heavy oil to be fully effective. They'll also help lubricate the joint over time.

Next time you're under, give thenm a good squirt of oil from your oil can.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Great, I'll do exactly that as it was evident from the rusty balls that it's been neglected and probably the very cause of the failure I hope I've now cured.

From the fact I could lever the corrector mechanism, can I assume this as evidence nothing else has seized?

For the sake of a £1.99 arm and a few drops of oil while crawling under a car.... it's easy when you know 8)