P**s poor roads...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

......Everything is P**s poor everywhere.......

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So !

P**s poor roads...

caused by

P**s poor politicians...

with

P**s poor policies...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Clogzz wrote:
ACTIVE8 wrote:do you pay a road tax, and is it spent on the upkeep of the roads ?
We pay road tax, road fund levy, car registration charge, licence fee, fuel excise and others. :x
There’s nowhere that it says that it’s got to be spent on roads; it’s all money coming in. :evil:
We’ve had storms causing a shipwreck and road collapse that killed a family of five.
The cynical state governments offload roads onto local councils that can’t afford their keep.
Story from ABC TV here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... 949726.htm

Image Image
We have a motoring programme here called Fifth Gear, and apparently one of the presenters will on next weeks programme, be going out with a road repair team, to repair the roads that the councils are not !

Central funding should be provided, as they have the deep pockets with our money in them, which SHOULD be spent where it's needed to make the roads SAFER!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In our little town we've recently had a really insidious pothole open up and slowly get deeper where a few weeks ago we had a burst water main that is still weeping despite being so-called repaired. It is placed by a traffic island and you cannot avoid it. The continual weeping is what I assume has caused the subsidence leading to this pothole.

It now sports a ring of yellow marker paint around it so hopefully it'll be fixed soon but I guess the problem is who is responsible for fixing it. The Water Board or the Council?

It could take weeks to resolve that one :( :roll:

And a few weeks of me saying "ouch!" (for the car) every time I have the misfortune to pass over it :evil: I don't feel it much in the Xantia but in the GTi it is a different matter entirely :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

ACTIVE8 wrote:repair the roads that the councils are not !
Hi ACTIVE8 :)

Will be interesting to see the outcome of this experiment.
The most haunting nightmare of governments is the prospect of people taking matters into their own hands to do what they fail to do.
There’s bound to be some law that prohibits ‘unauthorised persons’ from carrying out work in a public place.

We don’t have Fifth Gear here, but do get Top Gear, and the last series until a few weeks ago were episodes of last year.
A new series has started since, but I missed all of it because it’s at the wrong time.

Off topic, so hoping that Anders has his back turned, :lol: but what’s become of your rev counter since ?
Greg's just fixed his here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=22173

citrojim wrote:The Water Board or the Council?
Same stunt where we were in Sydney, a water mains leaking on and off for over 25 years on a state road maintained by the council who could say that it was the Water Board’s problem.
During long periods of rain, the road grew a dark slippery moss. :shock:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

......D.I.Y......

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi Clogzz :lol:

I've been so busy recently I have not been able to attend to the rev counter yet. Also when I collected the car a few years back it had obviously had a flat battery, and it was stuck then, but as soon as I discovered where Citroen had located the heated rear window switch, I found that the rev counter returned back to where it should after the heated rear window had been used a few times. 8)

So yes I am taking the lazy option at the moment to see if it will fix itself the easy way, if it does not then the methods listed in the replies to the other thread will have to be considered.

Although as I have a dash bulb out, I might take out the instrument cluster to sort out both problems at the same time.

Back on topic..... The presenter went with a council team, and worked with them. Apparently the team will on a good day fix at best 40 pot holes although that's not their normal workrate, and these repairs are only obviously temporary fixes.

Apparently the council are only required to attend to the road properly and resurface it after many many years, that's if they bother to sort it out at all.

Edit.... Apparently they will resurface, and I quote from the programme, which I watched again on the Saturday repeat, because I couldn't believe what I heard, "They will resurface a road once every 75 years ! "

So, that's to quote the Talking Heads song title "Once In A Lifetime ! "

Politics EH......... "Same As It Ever Was ! "

The presenter also went out in the middle of the night, and carried out a repair by himself. The film crew returned the next day to check it out, and it seemed O.K. Although how long it will last remains to be seen !

Edit.... Therefore to repair a pothole it looks like you are better off doing it yourself. :wink: LOL

Then send the bill to the council !
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi ACTIVE8, :lol:

Sorry for the delay, and thank you for the update.

Resurfacing once in a lifetime must be from the recipe book of the age of the cobblestone roads.
From what they say here, road works are planned 40 years ahead, but everything is under ‘constant review’. :roll:

Haven’t filled a pothole on a road yet, but a neighbour from a street across sprained an ankle when tripping into a pothole-sized hollow while walking her and our dog on this nature strip outside our house.
I then raked up fallen twigs and leaves from our trees at the back of our patch to stamp into the hole, and saved a fair bit of bin space in the process.
Following due complaint, the council restored the area a few days later, the neighbour’s ankle healed well, and the dogs had stayed with her when she fell. :lol:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Even after resurfacing roads in the country, it doesn't mean they'll be safe.
Many roads use a substance (which I really can't remember it's name) which in hot weather acts like ice.
Councils know about this but have ignored it, I think in Eire it's only allowed on roads with 30mph speed limits.
Oh it's going to bug me now!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool