ZX lowering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave1

ZX lowering

Post by Dave1 »

I have taken the below from a previous thread which discussed lowering a ZX. It was questioned if it was a good idea and generally seemed to get a negative response. Then this was written and seemed pretty solid rather than just opinions. I am not really up on joints when lowering but can well imagine lowering can create problems. So, not trying to start a war but would anyone strongly dispute what is said and has anyone had experience of problems on this car or pugs. I will of course have a look at the 306 site but that may be a little one sided.

"i lowerd my zx td (now sold to my brother so not mine anymore) by 40mm front and back, it was absolutly fantasic. It had 195/50/15 alloys it looked good and handled amazingly. I did 30000 miles with the car after it had been lowerd with no adverse effects on driveshafts or any other part for that matter.

the idea that drive shafts can be damaged is rubish:

The triax joints on the driveshafts are designed so that they have enough travel to absord lenght changes due to the suspension goin up and down from normall ride height to the point where the suspension hits the bump stops. By lowering the car you never go lower than the bump stops and so the driveshaft triax joints are still within thier working range, to suggest that a car lowered, but not riding on the bump stops will damage the driveshafts is utter RUBBISH!! im affraid.
Infact my triax joints were fairly worn, lowering the car slid the drivshaft further into the triax joint causing the joint to run on new unworn surfaces inside the triax, making the joint run smoother and removing the tell tale woble cuased by worn triax joints".
Last edited by Dave1 on 17 Jun 2007, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Not sure about the mechanics of it, but --- If you make it low enough you can limbo dance it under the car park barriers and get in for free.. :lol: \:D/
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

James.UK wrote:Not sure about the mechanics of it, but --- If you make it low enough you can limbo dance it under the car park barriers and get in for free.. :lol: \:D/
Oh yes, had not thought of that. I am having a garage conversion, flat above it and will have a very low door and roof! :roll:
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I don't think mods much like these sorts of threads so I'll add my 2p while its still open.

I've lowered my ZX and it is also brilliant, to the point that from the ride you'd never know, sure it doesn't wallow about in the corners but still rides over bumps as smooth as the original.

As far as bushes & drive shafts go, alsong as your not lowering it stupid amounts, like -80mm, and all the bushes are already in good order, it'll be fine.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

rossnunn wrote:I don't think mods much like these sorts of threads so I'll add my 2p while its still open.

I've lowered my ZX and it is also brilliant, to the point that from the ride you'd never know, sure it doesn't wallow about in the corners but still rides over bumps as smooth as the original.

As far as bushes & drive shafts go, alsong as your not lowering it stupid amounts, like -80mm, and all the bushes are already in good order, it'll be fine.
Glad you did. The best reply I could get is from someone who has done it ( and a while back I believe). The only reason I am considering this is beacuse I have the chance of a rear subframe, it has been lowered (but has had new bearings etc.) I would like to simply swap the thing over for mine which is starting to ride hard. Then the rear will be too low. I know I can raise it but with the opportunity of a set of front shocks and shorter springs as well I thought it was easier and perhaps would look OK. So it is more from necessity rather than my wanting to change the car.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

well I bought some cheapo springs off ebay & fitted them to the standard shocks for my first setup althought the rear was a tiny bit bobberly on bumpy roads @ 60+.
This is when it was brilliant, shaprened up the turning, reduced body roll etc but with all the confort of the standard setup.
Now I've a full Spax setup, front & rear but have yet to do any milage on it.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

I see, so yet to see if any issues. From what I can gather, the parts that suffer are the P bushes and drop links. Neither are particulary difficult to change but I would not want to be doing it every year. The donor car has not nec had any issues though. Given up in other areas :!:
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

When I fitted the front struts I also replaced the droplinks for the plastic 306 type. (Guy sells them on ebay, new very cheap) As a matter of 'while I was there'. I looked at the P bushes, top mounts, driveshafts etc but all were in good condition.
The rear subframe is fitted but I'm going to replace the 4 rear bushes, again as a 'while I'm there' job.