xantia sphere replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yep Simon - Agree.

Or the workout version : push the car back & forth while testing on the brake pedal. Guaranteed to get a nice red colour in your face :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

My car doesn't sink when it's parked but it drops right down at the back when I start the engine. I do know the accumulator sphere has seen better days but does this behaviour mean the anti-sink one has gone too?

My thinking, based on what I've learned in this thread, is that the anti-sink mechanism is de-activated when I start the engine but the flat anti-sink sphere is unable to take over. Once it's pumped itself up again everything seems to work fine.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

reblack68 wrote:My car doesn't sink when it's parked but it drops right down at the back when I start the engine. I do know the accumulator sphere has seen better days but does this behaviour mean the anti-sink one has gone too?

My thinking, based on what I've learned in this thread, is that the anti-sink mechanism is de-activated when I start the engine but the flat anti-sink sphere is unable to take over. Once it's pumped itself up again everything seems to work fine.
Does it begin to lift first and then some time later suddenly drop, and then lift again ?

Or does it drop first, and then lift and stay up ?

If it drops first before lifting, it's probably the anti-sink sphere is very flat but not quite punctured. (EG still has a little bit of gas left)

Over night the brake doseur valve bleeds away all the pressure in the anti-sink sphere while the suspension stays pressurized. (This is normal)

Because of the very low gas pressure in the sphere, when you start the engine and the anti-sink valve is reactivated there is a sudden rush of oil from the suspension to the anti-sink sphere to fill it up.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

thanks for all your replies guys i think i now can make sense of the system
the front accumulator sphere was changed 3 months ago and clicks after approx 35-40 secs so convinced that is ok
pushed down on rear corners and they both seem very flat similar to knackered struts on non cit cars ive had so points to dead spheres
it seems a safer bet to change all four corners and rear center at same time this will put this issue to bed i hope
have read other posts on hydraflushing system so think we will bite the bullet and do all in one go :lol:
think its best for piece of mind
then with full spheres and clean blood no doubt some other regulator/pipe will give up ghost but at least it keeps me busy
idle hands and all that..............
colin
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It drops right away, then lifts back up and then is fine for the rest of the day. The previous owner claimed to have replaced the wheel spheres, and they seem fine, so it looks like I need an accumulator and anti-sink.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its soft to push down it is more than likely fine, when spheres are partly or fully flat the suspension will be firm or hard dependent on how flat the spheres are, so the more they are flat the less movement you will feel
regards malcolm