MOT to become two-yearly

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ACTIVE8 wrote:So, if the cars are checked every two years, and as I mentioned above roadside stops/checks etc are rare, then it will mean there might be more cars out there driven around in a dangerous condition !
Precisely, and that is the big worry. I know from my own friends and assocaites just how ignorant of the basics most folk are these days and how litytle they check on a regular basis. cars today are too trouble-free for their own good and gone are the days of Saturday morning checking over the car (except us here of course!) Most everybody just puts fuel in and drives.

In fact, there is an argument for a basic safetry check to be carried out every 6 months really. What Alan S suggests here is an excellent idea.
I think if Service stations were mandated or if they took the initiative of employing just one person to fill the car with petrol, check tyres and oil, clean the windscreen etc just like they used to years ago and even if they charged a small fee for this service (say A$5.00 a car) there would be a lot of people particularly the elderly and some women who would take advantage of this just to feel a bit of security in what they were driving. The one doing the checks would naturally point out things like tyres wearing unevenly, low oil levels, leaks and anything noticed during the checks and from the garage/service stations aspect, a lot of business would come to them without going the hard sell.
That is of course what used to happen in the good old days when petrol stations were properly attended and not a just range of pumps tagged onto the end of a grocery shop.

As for the loss of revenue. Simple. They will double the cost and because it is two-yearly also make it very much more stringent on the argument that testable items have to be good for two years further service. I cannot help thinking it'll be a back-door attempt to rid the Uk roads of a very large number of older cars on the basis that it'lll be near impossible to get say, a ten year old car, through the test as is the case, I believe, in Japan.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

don't say that jim. my cars just turned 10 :(

anyone noticed how much the MOT has risen in recent years?

When i had my Golf GTI (ho how i miss that car) it was around £28 to £30 pound for a MOT, i just had my MOT yesterday and its gone up to £50
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

not wishing to hijack another thread but what you and AndersDKnd were saying about using non original parts cos the ecu wouldnt accept them could be the route they are heading :cry:
if you increase the stringencey of the test cos its done every 2 years then the older cars will be forced off the road eventually
but how would they incorporate that into their must recycle/eco friendly/save the planet approach
would we see a mountain of cars as well as fridges and wine lakes
colin