My ZX is making impolite noises...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KEB1

My ZX is making impolite noises...

Post by KEB1 »

OK so coincidentally (I hope) since I had that tyre fitted and both front wheels balanced, on slight left or right turns of the s wheel when maneuvering what is best described as a momentary impolite noise can be heard from the steering system (power).
I jacked it up and had a good look round both sides and can't see anything out of place.
On the road it feels like new and handles extremely well due to the new tyre.
I have a few theories, which I hope are wrong, but has anyone else actually experienced the same occurance ?

Kristian. :?
Last edited by KEB1 on 09 Jun 2007, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I know it sounds obvious but have you checked the fluid level and the belt tension?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Other things to check - seizure of the column universal joints - usually felt as high or stiff spots as the wheel is turned.

Many ZX have Bendix front brakes - which are notorious for harmless but alarming knocks when reversing - as the pads move in their sockets.

If it occurs when rotating the wheel and continues for a few moments - then fluid level would be the first place to check. I did have a PAS pump fail - bearings went and oil leaked onto the pulley which made it easy to trace.
jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jeremy wrote:Many ZX have Bendix front brakes - which are notorious for harmless but alarming knocks when reversing - as the pads move in their sockets.
Don't they just, especially if it has been damp and the car has not moved for a few days. The first time it happened on my 205 I stripped the calipers looking for the problem :oops: :lol:

Another possibility for the noise is binding in the strut top bearings.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I checked everything that could be relevent and all seemed OK.
However, the noise has gone as mysteriously as it appeared. I was getting a bit concerned that it might be expensive like the rack or ram but there is a strong possibilty that there may have been air in the system.
If it was air, I don't know how it got in as there are no obvious leaks or fluid loss.
At present, all seems ok so fingers crossed.

All the best,

Kristian. :D
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club