front sphere removal xantia mounting brackets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

front sphere removal xantia mounting brackets

Post by admiral51 »

hi all
just finished one job and another rears its ugly head :cry:
i have a leaking front sphere on my xantia and it looks like it has been persuaded to go on.
as with previous jobs it has been attacked by a caveman so decided to check with motinfo to see what faults had been spotted at previous mots
quote from previous failed mot
nearside front sphere mounting bracket suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded****dangerous***

from what i understand this is the mounting bracket that has been in previous threads with the "spearing" through the bonnet
i suspect this has been done as it passed the mot 4 days later but not by a mechanic :lol:
my question is is it possible to snap the thread off inside the sphere if it has been tightened up too much when trying to remove it
i dont want to try it if its going to cost me more than just a sphere should i let a stealers remove it and let them bear the cost if it snaps
cheers colin
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Sounds like this thread may apply to your car
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19386
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi stewart
yes thats the thread but im not convinced the person who put it on was all that clued up
not worried about the strut/mount itself as that it new its the sphere that worries me
it is leaking(only a bit) but it has gouges in it along the middle ridge and if its gone on too tight or even cross threaded then is it possible i will snap the thread the sphere goes on thereby needing a new strut/mounting
cheers colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sounds like the sphere seal nead replacing,easy peasy just depresurise the system,remove the sphere fit new seal and dont forget to run a finger full of citro blood on the matting surface of the seal,as if this is not done when you screw the sphere back into place it will chew up the seal,then it will leak,and no you wont shear the thread off of the sphere
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

And fit the seal to the mount NOT the sphere.... probably what has happened here - then some muppet has crunched the sphere up with a pair of big stilsons to try and get it to seal. It requires to be hand tight only, and if it doesn't seal you've done something wrong :lol:

You might have some 'fun' persuading that sphere off though :roll:
Richard W
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

thanks malcom and richard
one thing i forgot to ask do they undo clock or anti :oops:
and i presume the words fun and persuade should not really be used in the same sentence here :lol:
thanks colin
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Anti clock - normal right hand thread.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you should not have much prob undoing the front ones because of the angel they are on the strut top,and if you have a proper tool to undo them with, i have both a stanley 30cm pipe chain wrench and a proper citroen clamp type as pliadies sell, and yes you do fit the seal the the sphere mount first
regards malcolm
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

finally got round to changing leaking sphere and caveman had been very sloppy :lol: :lol:

no BL%$£Y seal in there not even a chewed up one :D

colin
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

admiral51 wrote:no BL%$£Y seal in there not even a chewed up one :D
Sounds like the same monkey who had messed around with a old Sierra GLS that I had (previous to me buying it). Why bother with the cam cover gasket when window sealer will do just as well :? :shock: :evil:

BTW Colin I got your message thanks. Will wait for the photos

All the best - Craig.