'98 Xantia II Combined Digital Clock/temp display

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

splitpin
My Cars:

'98 Xantia II Combined Digital Clock/temp display

Post by splitpin »

Hi, can anyone help?
The digital clock on my wifes Xantia II keeps playing up.
It can work for days without a problem then without warning the display disappears. It may take a few minutes before it comes back. Sometimes it starts really faint and after a while returns to normal, other times it comes back on at normal brightness. It also resets its time and date but not always. I suspected a bad earth, but on looking at the circuit diagram it shares its earth with other items, but these aren't affected.
Also the temperature display seems to read approx 20ºC higher than actual temp. i.e. when its about 20ºC outside, it will read 40ºC or there abouts.
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
Graham
Xantia II 1.9TD SX Estate.
1999 'T' 230,000 miles and rising!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My BX clock has a nice arrangement - it dips when the sidelights are put on. It would dip on its own - and an electrical surge like switching in the wipers would revive it.

Problem - well after fiddling with its plug etc I took it apart and examined the circuit board with a magnifying glass - and found on 3 joints near the plug the solder has cracked. Some careful re-soldering solved the problem.
jeremy
splitpin
My Cars:

Post by splitpin »

Thanks for that. I will take it out and have a look.
Cheers,
Graham.
Xantia II 1.9TD SX Estate.
1999 'T' 230,000 miles and rising!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like the display itself is u/s, the one in my XM performs the same antics with the temperature, I have replaced the sensor twice and its still the same so must be the unit.