BE3 3rd and 4th Synchromesh worn

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

An update on this thread.

I've now obtained a replacement second-hand synchro hub in very good condition for a very modest price :D

One thing that was bothering me was how to draw off and replace the taper roller bearing behind the 4th gear pinion without damage as I really want to reuse my original bearings to avoid the need to reset the preload. Unfortunately, in originally getting the bearing off, although I did not damage the bearing itself, I did chip a couple of teeth on the 3rd gear pinion on my practice 'box :cry: I don't want that happening on my own 'box when I come to rebuild it :wink:

I've now found a soloution to both problems. The solution involves a heavy hide hammer, two different types of puller and a piece of carpet.

To avoid damaging the roller cage of the bearing when pressing it back on I've turned up a special mandrel for the job. The bearing is a very tight fit on the shaft and it's reinstallation is greatly helped by gently heating it in a low oven. I did think of freezing the gear cluster and shaft to help as well but decided that putting half a gearbox in the domestic freezer was not such a good idea in view of maintaining domestic harmony :lol:

I've now had the bearing on and off twice with no damage so I'm confident of that part at least.

My next job is to completely reassemble my practice 'box and see if it still works. It'll be interesting as most of it is in bits and has been stored for a few weeks in numerous plastic bags in a cardboard box.

Furter updates will be posted. I'm planning to do the real job over the winter when I expect I can be guaranteed nice warm, dry weather :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have now documented the full strip of the gearbox and posted it on my little web site here:

http://www.eastment.net/BE3%20Gearbox.htm

Remember I'm an engineer and not a website designer :lol: Function over form :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nice and clear - good work! Much easier in colour than squinting at those poor B&W jobbies in Haynes!

For when you come to take the box out, it's easier to take the speedo housing off before you take the box out - it stops it getting in the way and means you don't have to take the stupid rubber cotter pin out - just split to speedo cable further up.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:For when you come to take the box out, it's easier to take the speedo housing off before you take the box out - it stops it getting in the way and means you don't have to take the stupid rubber cotter pin out - just split to speedo cable further up.
An excellent tip Richard :D There is great scope for dirt to get into the diff and output bearing doing this so adequate precautions need to be taken to seal off the rather large hole. I'll use this method when I have my GTi 'box out in a few days time and pop your tip into mu guide.

I'll be adding the reassembly chapter to my guide soon.
Jim