Clutch replacement on 16v 2 litre Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Greg,

I only know of Pug / Cit that use this clutch - and I think they discontinued it after the TD was stopped. The HDi uses either a standard push clutch (90BHP) , or an even worse hydraulically operated pull clutch :roll: Don't worry though, as many modern cars have dual mass flywheels - which tend to fail before the clutch and cost ££££ to fix. Nice :wink:

Anyway, getting the clutch back together is no real bother with a lift. Sling the box so that when it is lifted it naturally hangs at the right rotation and angle (I can't remember exactly how we did it, but sling it from a lug near the top starter bolt, and a lug at the back outside corner, then add another sling to the outside end of the box). Hoist it back in and offer it up to the engine. If you made an alignment mark a la Haynes set the release fork to this position (ah no, just realised you won't have, since the release bearing was broken free.... :oops: - so set the fingers on the fork so they are pointing towards the clutch, but just towards the back of the car) . Move the box in so that the splines are just engaged, then look / feel between the box and flywheel (there's more room than you think) to check the fork fingers are somewhere near the right place, then push the box home, watching the release fork. If it doesn't rotate, or rotates anticlockwise as you look at it from the top, you've missed, and will need to have another go. If it looks right, bung in a couple of bellhousing bolts, stick the release lever on, and give the lever a tug - you will know if it has engaged properly. Our ZX went in second time - failed the first not because the release fork missed, but because the input shaft splines were not lined up properly, and it wouldn't slide home.

A second pair of hands is v useful at this stage if you can find someone to help for 1/2 hour.

I trust you are replacing the two nylon bushes top and bottom of the release fork, and the input shaft seal and tube whilst the box is out....?

Edit: Just looked back over your photos. Before refitting the box, remove the RH drive shaft output housing (where the speedo plugs in). There are just 3 13mm bolts, and a flat O Ring in the back - however with this removed it makes life sooooo much easier to get the box back in - it also a piece of cake to reconnect the speedo pickup before you bolt it back on. Watch out for the speedo drive which will fall out when you remove the housing :lol:
Richard W
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Richard,
Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated for the time it took you. My 1994 1.9TD Xantia----that hasn't got a pull clutch as well has it?. Two pull clutches on two cars in same family is a fate worse than death. :( Somebody is getting at me :-k .
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"My 1994 1.9TD Xantia----that hasn't got a pull clutch as well has it?"

Well, I'd like to tell you it hasn't, but unfortuantely I can't. The second one will be easier than first though :roll:
Richard W
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Richard,
I found an advert for clutches on ebay, that points out that TD's use a pull clutch as well as the 16v Xant. And I have just bought an S reg, series 2 Xantia, the 1.9 TD, --and you have guessed it, bloody pull type clutch. Three of the things in same family. Aaaarrrrrhhhhhhh. What have I done to deserve this ? :( :( .
Forlornly,
Greg
Ps. Son has a Xantia 2, with 90 HDI ( with sensible clutch )---I went for the TD cos I didn't want all the extra electrical junk that comes with HDi

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS