xantia estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mugatea

xantia estate

Post by mugatea »

I need something bigger than the car I drive since I now own 2 dogs. So I was thinking maybe and estate or some 4x4.

I dunno if I want a french car tho, not that my xsara has been unreliable, I've been lucky with that in that its been perfect, but form the reputation of french cars I dunno if I wanna tempt fate.

Can anyone reccomend the xantia as an estate or should I go for a japanese 'safe' option. I'm really skint so I'll have under £1000 and cant afford in no-way to pay for big repairs in the future so I need something I can trust.

Jamie
nurkov
My Cars:

Post by nurkov »

I love mine to bits, it's got 2.0l petrol turbo engine and all the toys and leather seats so it's quite rare. As a estate boot is very spacious and wide. Much bigger then in vw passat I know as well.
Citroen Xantia Break 2.0T Exclusive 1999
Citroen Xsara 1.4i West Coast 1999
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Mines going strong at 183k, has had new spheres, clutch etc but hey thats a lot of miles 1998 1.9 tdsx Xantia
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Xantia's are lovely, I have 2 estates, both diesel.
One of the best things about them is that you can do most servicing and repairs yourself so saving a fortune.
Personal preference is for a SX/Desire grade as its high spec (a/c, electric windows, radio with input jack for ipod etc) but doesn't have the extra spheres that you get with hydractive Xantias.
Expect to have to change all the spheres, that's 6x£20 (+£10 for a home made tool), and maybe hydroflush the LHM (£17 for the hydroflush and £20 for new LHM).
Course you may not need to, but for both of mine I've had to within a few months of buying them.

The diesel 1.9TD should get you over 40mpg, and if you get one with a bosch fuel pump, can run on a diesel/vegetable oil mix (don't forget to pay the extra duty!)

The diesel engines are nigh indestructable. I've filled an engine with water before, and had the cam belt snap doing 40mph on the M25, just had to replace the broken parts (cam, caps, belt tensioners and belt).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
mugatea

Post by mugatea »

thanks for those replies. Could I get a decent one for under a grand?
deian

Post by deian »

a xantia estate has the rear self levelling suspension too... and i've not had a bad french car yet... problem with jap cars are, they may be more reliable, but WHEN they break down you can be the costs will me more.

good luck
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

mugatea wrote:thanks for those replies. Could I get a decent one for under a grand?
Yes, take a look on eBay - there are loads at under £1000 as long as you don't buy from a dealer. They like to hike the prices.

I'm on my second estate and love it to death - I upgraded from a 7 series BMW :P
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The great thing about the earlier diesel Xantias is that they dont have electronic engine management, so you dont have the fear of an expensive electronic repair, in fact the XUD engine is a fairly friendly DIY unit. If you want reliability and cheap repairs, dont buy an automatic.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

A Citroen, that's an estate AND 4x4!!

Here's a rare bird:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Citroen-BX-4 ... dZViewItem

Where's Britton BTW - is it a district in Peterborough of something!?

Andrew
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Mothers is going well for 185K, 2.0 Auto Exec. Fully loaded with all the toys, Pulls like a train & not bad on the jungle juice as long as you don't drive it like you stole it.
Coupes more than well with our dog (newfoundland) - you'd get 2 in there with room for a poodle.
Check the door hinges as they can fail, noticed mothers has started to crack around the drivers top, causing the door to misalign.
I plan to fix this before it gets too bad, just need more numbers on that 12 hour dial :roll:
Would we have another? mmmm no - we'd have a C5 2.2 exec! :lol:
mugatea

Post by mugatea »

ok thats interesting.

Ok, tell me honestly and objectivley, is the old BX any good? If so what is it like compared to the xantia and is it a solid dependable car?

I'm getting drawn towards its retro-geek looks. It's kinda cool.

thanks

Jamie
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mugatea wrote:Ok, tell me honestly and objectivley, is the old BX any good? If so what is it like compared to the xantia and is it a solid dependable car?

I'm getting drawn towards its retro-geek looks. It's kinda cool.

thanks

Jamie
I saw a very late BX TZD Turbo Estate last evening in our Tesco car park. Even had a brief chat with it's owner. I love the looks of them :P 8)

They have simplicity going for them and an arugably better ride. In fact, if you get an early Mk1 Xantia, effectively, they're just a BX in a new set of clothes and without the dreaded octopus :twisted: They even sink like a proper Citroen should :lol:

The Xantia gets ever more complex as it gets newer and not always for the good :evil:

It is said that the Xantia is a better made car and is certainly a lot heavier than the BX. The BX should be nippier and more fuel efficient.

BXs generally look scruffy now, even the "L" reg one I saw last night looked very weary and needed lots of TLC but it looked sound enough so there may be some truth in the build quality rumours.

How they withstand rust I'm not sure but I've heard the boot floor rusts a bit.

I'll leave others to continue but I do recall in 1992 tears being shed in the caravan press when production of the BX ended. It was said to be a tremendous towcar. An accolade the Xantia never quite carried forward as I recall.

Go for one!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

from what i feel from others on the forum and my own general feelings, the bx is a good car, but the xantia is better... of course there is more to go wrong on the xantia due to the newer technology, but the bx was a good car in it's time, probably very under-rated, i'm not sure how strong the 4x4 system on the bx is... i.e transfer boxes etc... and it don't say what engine the bx has, if it's the diesel then you may as well buy it for under £500.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:A Citroen, that's an estate AND 4x4!!

Here's a rare bird:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Citroen-BX-4 ... dZViewItem

Where's Britton BTW - is it a district in Peterborough of something!?

Andrew
That has got to be worth getting if only for its rarity! It looks good.. Spares will be a problem though for the 4X4 specific bits although I guess a lot will be shared with the Pug 405 Mi16X4. Transfer boxes are weak. I'd not risk too much towing with it.

A classic waiting in the wings I think, well on a par with a BX16 GTi

Anyone know if it has the Mi16 engine? He has not said, perhaps to keep the 205 boys at bay :wink:

If it is an Mi16 with only 51,000 miles the 205 boys will be wetting themselves :) Low mileage Mi16 engines are now practically extinct.

Britton may be in Somerset :lol: :) That was where the car was first registered.

(I think he means The United Kingdom 'cos I can't spell the alternative that begins with B either!!!!)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I saw a Red BX estate the other day & it looked amazing, really very clean, very shiney.
Unfortunatly it was moving so I couldn't have a word with the owner.