Why Cruise Control works best with auto boxes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

lolingram wrote:France also has a windscreen electro badge option that lets you through a special turnstile, BUT you still have to slow down to pass the reader... it is rumoured that this same badge system will eventually work throughout Europe.
UFO posted:
You get a tag which mounts inside your windscreen and sensors pick up your passing of a toll point.
The slow down through the turnstile thing, or slowing down at all, also dramatically increase CO2 emissions. Funny that the EU hasn't come up with some law about it - they seem to have a law about everything else. Even that organ pipes can no longer be made with lead! :evil:

IIRC the UK doesn't have toll roads, but you do have London City "admin" who like to help themselves to the contents of your wallet, and more gastos than used tyres and petrol cans it seems :roll:
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

**There's some truth in this**, but the difference is not that signifcant in comparison with the utterly unfair current taxation in UK.

Just as a point of interest (not saying it's better), France abolished road tax on private cars years ago - only corporately registered vehicles pay road tax.

I'm all for that, but only if the tax disc is abolished. It makes sense that if I drive 5k a year I pay 1/4 of the tax I'd pay if I drove 20k. Makes a lot more sense to me. Seen as its done on emissions 2 people driving the same car different distances pay the same price but emit different amounts of gas. **That doesn't work in my mind**.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

UFO wrote:
lolingram wrote: IIRC the UK doesn't have toll roads
We do have toll roads the m6 toll being an example. We also have some rather silly ones. The forth bridge has a £5.00 toll to come into Wales however it is free to leave. Needless to say I always enter Wales a different way.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

**I hadn't heard of this one yet**...

Pure lead is too soft to be used alone; stiffening agents such as antimony and copper must be added for increased rigidity. The cost of each metal is also a factor, with tin being of far greater expense than lead. The usual exceptions to tin-lead alloys are very lowest pipes in a rank, which are sometimes made of rolled zinc.
The slow down through the turnstile thing, or slowing down at all, also dramatically increase CO2 emissions. Funny that the EU hasn't come up with some law about it - they seem to have a law about everything else. Even that **organ pipes can no longer be made with lead**!
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

elma wrote: The forth bridge has a £5.00 toll to come into Wales however it is free to leave. Needless to say I always enter Wales a different way.
I'm sure you really mean the Severn bridge!

I used to do exactly the same. Drive in to wales via Gloucester and Ross-on-Wye, and then back out on the "Toll" bridge.

I always use the old bridge though, as I think the Suspension bridge is so much more elegant than the newer cable-stayed one.
This is not a signature.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

elma wrote:I'm all for that, but only if the tax disc is abolished. It makes sense that if I drive 5k a year I pay 1/4 of the tax I'd pay if I drove 20k. Makes a lot more sense to me. Seen as its done on emissions 2 people driving the same car different distances pay the same price but emit different amounts of gas. That doesn't work in my mind.
Although what I just described already happens with the duty on fuel. How do they get us to pay this tax twice?
Just before every budget this chestnut used to crop up - put 3p/litre on fuel and abolish the car tax (VED). Instead, the Chancellor just put 2p on fuel AND raised the VED by a fiver each go....

I believe originally our VED was just for administration fees for the disc which proved you had an MOT and insurance for a car. In France (IIRC), you have 2 stickers in the windscreen for this purpose?

Over to the M6Toll - its not graduated enough for me to use it - i'm not joining it 3/4 the way along and pay full whack. If it was pro-rata (like the French tolls), then i'd happily pay a quid for the last 1/4 as it would save me about 10-15 minutes in a morning.

The Severn Bridge...never understood the logic there, myself...
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

We are ripped off as motorists in this country anyone who uses a toll road here on top of whats being stolen from us by the cowboys running the country must be stupid.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Thankyou...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Donno whats up with you guys. Springtime ? :roll:

Anyway I'm fed up with all the more or less hidden insinuations and touchy comments.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image