Xantia Judder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

glenndaleuk1

Xantia Judder

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

Hi All
I have just started to get a judder at between 35-40 mph on my 97 1.9tdi vsx Seems to get worse when I accellerate then disapears at around 45mph I had the wheels balanced and replaced one tyre, However the judder is still there.It does not seem to be comeing up thru the steering It seems the whole car is shaking. Has anyone encountered this before ? I`m thinking possably drive shafts, How can I chceck them and if so are they differcult to fit ? The car has done 75000miles. On reading past posts I read that top struts can cause the problem,I have checked them and they seem fine no sighns of corrosion or cracking but I did notice that one of the rubber gaters was at half mast. Could this be a sign all is not well ? I forgot to mention I have recently had new brake disks the judder was not there before the fitting of the disks. But Ican`t remember how soon after, the judder started could this just be coincidence ? Thanks
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It sounds very much as if the driveshafts are at fault for the vibration as it worsens under acceleration. If you can, support the front of the car on axle stands and get an assistant to "drive" the car whilst you observe the driveshafts in motion. They should run true so any deviation from that will cause vibration.

They aren't normally difficult to change although the offside one has a middle bearing which sometimes gets stuck in its housing.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

From experience I would say its far more likely to be tyre related. Have you checked your rear tyres? if you have ply seperation, it could cause a bulge and being at the rear it wont be felt through the steering it will just shake the car. Jack the car up so the wheels are just clear of the ground and spin them while observing the gap between the tyre and the road.

Worn inner driveshaft joints can cause a vibration with a high milage, but I wouldn't have thought 75k would have been enough.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jack up the car one wheel at a time is just free off ground. Then using bricks or wooden blocks establish a reference point close to the wheelrim. Now turn the wheel by hand to recognise any offset damages to the wheel rim. At the same time look close for any un-even tyre surfaces.

Checking for brake disc problems is very easy : if the problem is evident or even worse during braking, then the brake disc is fitted out of true.
A common problem is rust build up between disc and hub surfaces. This must be cleaned off when changing discs.

Check wheelbolts. Preferably unscrew all 4 and re-tighten such you know they are evenly torqued.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
glenndaleuk1

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

Thanks for the replies I just had time to check the two ffront wheels and tyres today,they were ok. There is no judder under braking so maby that rules out disks. I notice on the rear I have michelins which I am told when worn do seperate. I will have them checked later in the week. But surley if it was tyre related, How does that explain an increase in judda when accelerating ? Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It doesn't really, the only thought I have is that it alters the load on the rear wheels.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Checked for badly worn engine mountings ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
glenndaleuk1

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

Thanks for your thoughts I will keep you posted
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi - likely to be one of the inner tri-ax joints, it happend to my friends ZX on about 80-90K and has happened to a few Citroens on here..

car shakes badly, especially under acceleration, gearstick wobbles etc

in my friends case, the needles in one of the tri-ax bearings had dissapeared. Get under car and check for play on both joints...

good luck
John
glenndaleuk1

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

Hi John
Sorry to to sound like a right Drrrrrrrrr but what is a tri-Ax joint I`m not familier with it. Are they expensive to replace ? Thanks
glenndaleuk1

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

Ok just looked it up. I think you are refering to the bearing that connects the inner cv joint to the outer, am I right ? Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I fully agree on the mounts and driveshaft inners being the first suspects here but if that does not bring forth a cure...

A possibility is worn lower balljoints (swivels). I had a similar judder on my TD and that was the cause although the judder was much more pronounced under braking than acceleration.

I hope not though, they're a genuine nightmare to replace, needing a special socket and three or four weetabix for breakfast.

Wheel bearings are a possibility too, another nightmare.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

what about a partially seized brake calliper (or handbrake not fully releasing)..........
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
glenndaleuk1

Post by glenndaleuk1 »

Thanks for all your replies. I took the car in today for rear break pads while I was there I asked the fella to check what he could in the limited time available, he took the car out on test and reported the shaking of the whole car on return. He felt it was originating from the front end possibly n/s somewhere but untill he could investegate further was not prepared to commit himself. It is booked in for thursday morning.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My money is on the Nearside driveshaft then.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.