ZX Volcane TD 'nervous' steering/handling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DanDare
My Cars:

ZX Volcane TD 'nervous' steering/handling

Post by DanDare »

I've noticed my Volcane has very 'ubrupt' turn in near the limit. I've read a few roadtests etc on this model & this issue crops up alot blaming it on the passive rear steering.

This may seem a silly question to those more in the know but can this set-up actually be 'removed/isolated' ie, no rear steer (assuming it is this causing it) or is it a trait i am stuck with ?

Ps, i did notice when i bought the car i had a slow rear offside punture & i knew the pressure was getting low as it amplified the problem making the car even more nervous to drive fast) I run 34psi front & 32psi rear (as stated on the door)

Does anyone else suffer this problem ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My only comment having a sound one is that the limit is extremely high - and it has always surprised me just how well the thing grips with no vices.

So - have you a touch too much rear wheel steer? - Possibly caused by excessive wear in the rear trailing arm bearings - or have the subframe mounts deteriorated (sometimes accompanied by knocking noises from the rear of the car.

Tyre pressures are of course vital as are good tyres. With the very considerable cornering forces that these cars can generate if anything untoward does happen it may happen very quickly.
jeremy
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I think the active rear steer is more noticable if you have weight in the rear too. But I'd agree with Jeremy's points.
Check the rear most mounts, both of these had gone on mine but they never banged or knocked & I only found out at MOT time.
Also to go along with the tyre pressures make sure it has the right size wheel/tyre on, sounds daft I know but still worth a check.

I wouldn't 'blame' good turn in on the passive rear steering, this makes it sound like a bad thing. When its actually a very very good thing. I don't know of another car other than the 306 which handles as well as a ZX straight out of the box at that class level.
DanDare
My Cars:

Post by DanDare »

jeremy wrote: (sometimes accompanied by knocking noises from the rear of the car.)
I do get a knock only when turning left, coming from the rear passenger side mainly on anything other than a smooth bit of road. Could this be the bushes in question possibly or could the trailing arm bearing create a knock too ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like subframe mounts - they're available from GSF and Eurocarparts I think and I'm sure you'll find instructions for fitting if you search on here.

The system of passive rear wheel steer was so good that Rover delayed the introduction of the 25 till they could copy it!
jeremy
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

definitely the ream subframe mounts, most likely the rear ones but check the front (more expensive and harder to do, but not that expaensive or difficult!) ones arent sagging when the car is up as well.

if you find the bushes are good, then you can get solid mounts for the rear subframe mounts from alot of places. try ebay or peter lloyd rallying. they are basically aluminium mounts that just replace the rubber and negate any passive rear steer. All the rally 205's use them as it means they can set the car up better without having to correct for the rear steer.

For road though, cant beat it!! Just get the bad bits replaced and get used to finding that you are going round corners faster than any german car ever could. :P
Citroen ZXTD Volcane VNTGE (Gasket Eater)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Whenever my ZX has had more noticable "turn in" its been either with a heavy boot load (the shopping run), low tyre pressures somewhere (front or rear) or when the rear arm bushes went...