Me again, an another problem, (front end rattle)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

RichardW wrote:If that's the set up on THe Agent's car, then it's not going to work :cry: The belt coming back from the Alt is going to foul the lower of the two tensioner pulleys.

Although.... it might be possible to go crank pulley, top tensioner, HP pump, alternator, allow the front of the belt to rub on the guide pulley (or remove the pulley), then back to the crank pulley. You're only going to get 1/2 turn on the HP pump, it might chirrup a bit, but it should work. Does the bottom pulley move in this set up or only the top - I've not had to work with one of these, only the earlier type set up.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "foul the lower tensioner?" the back of the belt will still be resting on the flat of the tensioner, it will just be resting on it with a different direction of force. does that make sense?

That is if we put the belt on, the second way. its maintaining the force on the belt near to alternator that is the main problem, or I'm going to be back to square one, with regards to my battery going dead again lol
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I think option 2 is probably going to be the best, as it should keep more tension on the altenator.

Can you use the old belt to get an idea of what length belt we need to fit?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

not with my pudgy arms no, would need the car raised as i cant get under to pass the old belt back up. will try it with a tape measure, that way i can get the size as well...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well, halfords should be open on Monday, so if you don't have any luck with the tape measure, once we've got the car jacked up we should be ok :D
Glad my axle stands are no longer in use so I'll bring them up :)

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

nope, no luck with the tape measure, need a second pair of hands to stop it slipping off of the damn tensioners / alternator
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Well, good news is, the alternator is very easy to turn, so either way would work.

Just thought id let you know.

*EDIT* Xac is there a picture in that book that shows the lay out of the belt on a NON A/C model?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"Well, good news is, the alternator is very easy to turn, so either way would work. "

Ha ha - try it with the igniton switched on and the field coils excited.... :lol:

My first though was that you would just take the A/C out of the way, otherwise keeping the routing the same, hence fouling the tensioner (as Xac's first drawing) - ingore all that - Xac's second pic is the way to go, provided you can get the belt behind the tensioner. I doubt you will get it tight enough to work without the second tensioner in the equation.
Richard W
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

TehAgent wrote:Well, good news is, the alternator is very easy to turn, so either way would work.

Just thought id let you know.

*EDIT* Xac is there a picture in that book that shows the lay out of the belt on a NON A/C model?
No there isn't, but the petrol engines they've taken photos of for their aux belt part don't have A/C, and don't look like they have a top tensioner either.

Putting things together you get the following:

Which isn't much help as you'd have to replumb the HP into the where the a/c compressor is, and get the a/c compressor taken off the car.

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

From that diagram, I'm now wondering if the second route you showed really would be the way to go, being as they have managed to get the belt to cover at least 2/3'rds of the way round the alternator.

With a lot less belt touching the alternator, i have a strange suspicion that its not going to have enough grip to rotate it
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Don't worry too much about the alternator Ian,

In the Activa/2.1TD only about 1/3rd of the pulley is in touch with the belt although it has a tensioner immediately to each side of the alternator pulley.

Xac's last diagram is in effect, the early non - A/C arrangement :wink:

Excellent diagrams!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

We have to make sure we get the belt length spot on if your auto tensioner is working fully.
On my 2.1TD it rotates enough to nearly touch the lower tensioner!

Ian, if the belt doesn't work, we'll give taking the pulley off the a/c and swapping that out.

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

right, just got back from the scrap yard, they have 4 Xantia's down there, but only one has the A/C pump on it, and its the wrong one :(

The rest are all non A/C models, even the VSX that was down there?

But did manage to find a Xantia that had all the ABS sensors working, so took a drivers side one :D

Unfortunately, i couldn't gain access to the underside of the car so had to cut the cable just inside the wheel arch, So I'm about to solder it to the one i took off and then water proof it, like a good old bodge jobber.

*edit*

Forgot to add, popped into Citroen on the way home, just to see how much a sensor was going to set me back if i got a new from them. £104 :shock: VAT inc.

And they couldn't give me a price on a new A/C clutch because they didn't have the part number on the system for it, only the Pump as a whole. which was priced at 225 ex VAT. so about £260 with it.. which is more than what i payed for the car.
Last edited by TehAgent on 03 May 2007, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Give the scrappy a call and find out how much they want for that compressor.
Would be easier to do a complete transplant rather than the pulley.
No special clutch removal tools should be required.
You'll just need a different length belt :)

Congrats on the ABS sensor!

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Isn't the pipe work different on the other pump though? from what i could see, the pipe work on mine, go in at the very end, but on that other pump it goes in at a right angle on the end cap.

Xac, re-read my last post, i was editing it, while you were typing lol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

TehAgent wrote:right, just got back from the scrap yard, they have 4 Xantia's down there, but only one has the A/C pump on it, and its the wrong one
Don't worry Ian, they're interchangable... If he does not want a fortune for it, get it!

Good on the ABS sensors :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...