Me again, an another problem, (front end rattle)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

i hope so, i can get it sorted out properly after the MOT, ill have more time and less money going out all in one go as well.

Anyway, a bit off topic but how are you and Jim?
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm annoyed with Barclays at the moment. Put a cheque in on Monday, hadn't cleared by Friday afternoon, found out it cleared an hour or so later.
Meant I could have gotten tax for my 1.9TD before it's insurance expired on Saturday noon.
So now Jim's coming over tonight to help finish getting her running and then I'm borrowing another mate's driveway so I can sorn it until I sell her.
How's you other than pulling your hair out over the car?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Were fine, got a rescued tin foil barb for my fish tank, its a whooping 10inchs long about 6 inches deep, and fat as you like, keeps hiding away from the other fish at the moment, even though they are smaller than him lol

Bit angry with powergen, sent me a bill after i changed over to n.power, for £317 electric, even though I'm on a card meter (pay as you go lol). phoned them up and they said it was because my meter was set wrong, so told them id see them in court as I'm not paying for there negligence in making sure the meter was set correctly. That's like filling up with diesel at the pump, and paying what the pump says, then two weeks later the garage sending you a bill because the pump was at the wrong price?

Other than that, me and tes are ok,

How much do you want for the estate?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm looking for £700 although I've spent more than that on her!
She's had new sphere's (I'll replace the rear ones with non-hydractive spheres before I sell her as I was given hydractive ones by mistake/salespersonstupidity)
A/C works and looks full :D
Recently had it's LHM flushed and replaced (must do that on my 2.1!)
Had it's coolant replaced end of last year.
New cambelt and tensioners, Jim's coming over tonight to set the valve clearances.
I've swapped it's good radio with the broken screened one from the 2.1
It's had the blower relay modification.
Synchromesh on 3rd isn't too great, crunches if you don't double de-clutch. Could swap gearboxes with yours maybe?

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Well, here a photo diary of how to take off the Passenger side ABS sensor

First i put the car onto some ramps, and chocked the back wheels, once i was satisfied that the car wasn't going to go any where in a hurry, i shimmed my way under the car.

Following the cable from the sensor, i located the Block connector that the cable was plugged into and proceed to unclip it from its mounts from the connector block to the sensor.

There was a bit of a fiddly bit, because a set of stiff pipes blocked the connector block, from coming out, so had to use a long screw driver to lever it out the way a bit.

Now that the cable was free, i tide it up to the very last clipping place, inside the wheel arch to make sure it was out of the way of the wheel and any other moving parts.

Taking it back off of the ramps, and moving them out of the way, loosen the wheel nuts off just so they are slack, then jack the car and support it with axle stands, i don't have axle stand, to had to put my wheel under the car, just in case the jack failed. (better to have a damaged wheel and still be able to jack the car up, then not be able to get a jack under and need lifting equipment) and chock the drivers side front and back wheels.

Now that the car is in the air, undo the nuts, the rest of the way and take the wheel off.

Now, the ABS sensor is located, behind the brake disk on the right hand side, when looking at it face on.

There is one 10mm bolt, holding the sensor to the wheel strut
(please note, on some models it might be a 10mm retaining nut, then a 10mm bold mounted on the thread behind it, so pay attention)

Once the bolt is removed, try wiggling the sensor, if it fails to move, lightly tap it, till it starts to free up, once its free pull it clear of its mount, and unclip the rest of the cable. you should now have a removed ABS sensor, without damage.

The full sensor with cable.

Sensor head. this was chocked full of crap,so i cleaned it up, yet still didn't read anything on the multimeter :(

Well my Alternator belt gave up while i was doing the work on this, so my car is now dead :(

Though me and Andy (Xac) have found out that you can replace the Clutch on the Air-Con pump. so will not have to get a new pump :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Argh work is blocking the photos :(

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Forgot to add, my pump is a Delphi one like your Xac
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

TehAgent wrote:Forgot to add, my pump is a Delphi one like your Xac
Cool, so we need to find a scrap xantia with a delphi pump and nick it's clutch :D

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Right, just been down to the car to try and get the clutch off of the Delphi pump, but stumbled into a major problem.

As the clutch isn't engaged the center bolt, when turned, just spins the pulley / wheel / thingy.... ?

also as there is now no belt on it, this doesn't help neither. any ideas how to stop the wheel / pulley / thingy, from spinning, so i can get that damn clutch off of it?

(Pictured before the belt snapped)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Would turning the a/c on with the engine running engage the clutch enough to hold it steady?

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Dunno, that wheel is very loose on the motor, so not sure if it would even engage.

Also, is it safe to do so? as the Alternator is no longer attached to anything? as there is no belt.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Should be ok, though you'll be running any electrics off the battery.
Won't need to do it for long (wind the driver's window down or get Tes to help incase you need to shut the engine off quick) just long enough to slacken the nut that holds the pulley/clutch on the a/c compressor.

Wonder if anyone know's a safe DIY way to remove the compressor from the engine, that way we could get a complete one from a scrappy and just do a swap then get it re-gassed.
I've got a 406 peugeot XUD workshop manual at home, will check tonight if it mentions the compressor.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I may be wrong here as I've never tried but if you use your old auxillary belt to wrap around the A/C Compressor pulley and onto a stationary and strong adjacent point, you should be able to hold the pulley steady enough to get a good purchase on the centre nut. I once did this very successfully with a F**d Z**tec engine crank pulley to lock it to shift the very tight bolt with the engine out of the car.

I warn again, be very careful if you try to remove an A/C compressor, either off a scrappy (although the dismantler should have depressurised and emptied it) or your own car Ian. A faceful of R-134A is not a nice experience and can be very,very dangerous. I had a faceful of R12 once as a kid, doing someing very silly with a 'fridge. Maybe why my eyesight is a bit suspect these days :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Funnily enough, 134a is used as a low power gas in airsoft pistols :)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Postscript to the above.

If you do change compressors and the new one is empty, remember it'll have no oil and will therefore be damaged if run like this. As the heater automatically puts the aiorcon on during demist, it'll be best to leave the clutch cable disconnected so that the clutch cannot engage until it is regassed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...