LHM in bulk (but not too much bulk)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Was it my post that started all this branded stuff? I used Car Plan LHM because it's available locally, the price is fair and Car Plan is made by a respected company (Tetrosyl) and I've used their products for around 20 years. Their website is available here - http://www.tetrosyl.com

Even top brands make mistakes too - Shells advanced petrol from the eighties is a case in point.

Steve.
not applicable
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

citrojim wrote:Delphi LHM is LHM+ according to my can of the stuff.

Yes, Simon, I believe the viscosity of LHM+ is slightly lower than the original LHM. I recall reading somewhere that owners of early LHM Citroens had a few problems with leaks after changing from LHM to LHM+

The main property of LHM, I believe, apart from its kindness to seals etc, is that it has an incredibly high Viscosity Index (VI) to ensure that the behaviour of the suspension system remains relatively constant over a very wide temperature range. VI being a measure of an oil to maintain a given viscosity over a range of temperatures.

I recall reading a very interesting thread over on Aussiefrogs that looked at alternatives to LHM (I believe it is not that readily available nor cheap in some areas of the Antipodes) and nothing came close to the VI of genuine LHM. The closest was a type of blue hydraulic fluid if memory serves me.
DickieG wrote: Personnally I prefer to use Total as I'm familiar with the changes of its colour from luminous green to yellow etc which I use to judge the condition of the LHM.
Now, going on my observation that Delphi LHM is a dull green, I'm wondering if it will eventually change colour as rapidly as say, Total LHM. Maybe the luminious component is specially there to create a yellow colour to indicate it requires changing. This looks to be missing from the Delphi brew. Trouble is, I've not run Delphi long enough to see any colour change although it has been in my TD for getting on for two years and 20,000 miles now.

When does Total LHM begin to change colour?
im sure differant oils can/do act differantly to one and other,as it was allways said you should never use DUCKAMS engine oil in the likes of GSs and dershes,as it keeps its viscousity when the engine is hot,so it could blow your oil cooler,also most after market LHMs smell differant to genuine citro blood
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:also most after market LHMs smell differant to genuine citro blood
regards malcolm
Getting worried about you Malcolm, sniffing LHM......
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

:lol: :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

HE HE HE its a dirty job but someones got to do it Jim
regards malcolm