C5 Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

C5 Suspension

Post by RichardW »

I'm confused (not hard I know!) 8)

Higher spec C5s have Hydractive 3+ with the sport button, and auto height reduction at speed. Lower models are badged 'Hydractive 3' under the bonnet but have no sport button - but are these really hydractive (ie 3 spheres / axle) or is 'Hydractive 3" just the electronic version of the old 2 spheres / axle system :?:

The hydractive in the Xantia is much better than the 'ordinary' suspension - even on mine where it is best described as temperamental :twisted:

Looks like it is time to move onto a C5 :? just need to know whether I 'need' to buy an exclusive or not 8)
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Just discussed this on aussiefrogs a few days ago - short version, Hydractive 3 is just the standard 2 spheres per axle system equivalent to Hydropneumatic on an older Citroen, except as you note with electronic height control. (And possibly the road speed related height adjustment too)

You need Hydractive 3+ on a C5 to get the 3 spheres per axle system with hard/soft modes.

Yes, Citroen screwed up the meaning the word Hydractive with the C5.... :roll:

Hydropneumatic Xantia = Hydractive 3 C5
Hydractive 2 Xantia = Hydractive 3+ C5

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

That's interesting,
was just going to do an 'excuse my stupid question' post along the lines of do all C5's have the third central sphere at the rear.

Mine is a 2001 model HDi 110 diesel without the sport button. I've replaced the 2 outer rear spheres with genuine Citroen ones (albeit off ebay so they may have had a long shelf life of sitting around :roll: ) and still find the ride from the back end ridiculously harsh.

Upon reading another thread I thought I'd found the answer in that I hadn't replaced the middle sphere at the same time but after a cursory look underneath the other day I didn't see a central sphere. The car was not jacked up but on high setting so I didn't go too far underneath :)

So tell me, is it possible I only have the two spheres at the rear?
If so I am going to be so disappointed! Other than the ride the car is brilliant but I can't live with that, I like a Citroenesque ride, or at least not worse than a Mondeo I may be following. And also I hear other people say that the C5 gives a good ride, and indeed if I find myself in the rare circumstance of following another one (there aren't too many about) the one in front always seems to be gliding rather than pitching and lurching about.

It's driving me nuts! Any thoughts on this dilemna would be most appreciated. I really don't want to buy a F*rd after all these years!

brgds
John J.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

http://www.citroen.co.uk/level4/technic ... &infoID=12
click 'continue to pdf' - and save the adobe reader document on your HD.
Now you have the UK C5 spec brochure.
Only one model is listed as having the 'sport' mode button feature. All other versions have the 'hydractive 3' suspension system with automatic ride height adjustment.

The hydractive 3 system does not incorporate the center axle sphere. Only the hydractive 3+ system does.

I wonder if you got the correct sphere type ?
If you want to give it an extra chance there are omfort spheres available for the C5. These will give a noticeable softer ride.

I seem to recall another C5 owner with similar problems. He replaced the spheres on his C5 with spheres spec'ed for the smaller engined C5. He was very much satisfied with the mod.

Edit : Was our member '406 V6' (Fransisco). He's got the following text in his signature : "C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres".
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

Thanks Anders,

I think I'll go down the 'comfort' spheres route then. I'm assuming it's OK to just fit them on the rear and not all round? Guess I'll soon find out :wink:

Regards
John J.
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

I appreciate I am lucky enough to have a 2.2 Exclusive on Hydractive 3+. After a CX and two XM's on comfort spheres I found the suspension on the C5 hard. Having put up with it for five years I have recently put 'comfort' spheres all round after 70k miles. What a world of difference, thouroughly reccomend them to everybody with a C5. The car lifts under accelaration, dips under braking and even slightly rolls on corners which suits me. Having complained about the supplied C5 suspension had a ride in my son in laws new BMW 3 3.0 XTD and I am sure my old roller skates were more comfortable! :lol:
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage
Kursaal Flyer
My Cars:

Post by Kursaal Flyer »

Thanks C5IAM for suggesting the 'comfort' spheres. As I have HA3 suspension with no centre spheres I only needed four to do front and back.
I am very glad I went for them, I was worried that it might be like riding on a blancmange after but am pleasantly surprised how little the handling has been affected. If REALLY pushing it on a roundabout it is possible to generate a little tyre squeal, but other than that it seems pretty much unaltered.
I was concerned that there may be too much roll and pitching of the body whilst changing gear and braking, but if there is any change it is negligible.
The ride has improved though it is in no way boat like or wallowy, I certainly wouldn't want it any harder.
Luckily I managed to 'crack' all the spheres quite easily so the replacement was quite an easy job following the advice on this forum about how to de-pressurize the system. I backed the rear onto wheel ramps, put it on full height and backed off each sphere about 1/8th of a turn. Then when the height was set to low and de-pressurized they came off easily by hand.
Thanks again
John J.