idle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

metgreentd

idle

Post by metgreentd »

forgot to ask this my engine (1.9 td) ticks over a bit lumpy the idle speed is ok and it drives smoothly its just when idling it seems a bit rough any ideas thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Air in the fuel? Leakoff pipes - with a Bosch pump only (Roto-Diesels just leak and smell)

Once its been running for a minute or so the glowplugs can be ignored.

Bit more info would be helpful - age, engine, car.
jeremy
metgreentd

idle

Post by metgreentd »

sorry car is a 95 on a m plate 1.9 td xantia 155.000 miles. i presume it's bosch there is no smell of diesel or visible leaks at the pump as you suggest.this rough idle happens at all engine temps regardless of how long the engines been running
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be down on compression on one cylinder due to wear or incorrect valve clearances or could be that the injector pressures are unbalanced, but unless the engine is leaping out of the car, or there are any other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. You could end up with a lot of work!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The point I'm making is that on a car fitted with a Bosch pump hard/cracked leakoff pipes will allow air to get into the fuel system and may cause misfiring, even if there is no external diesel leak. Roto-Diesel pumps are rather different and are unaffected by the state of the leakoff pipes - and indeed a couple of times I've had major leaks (one split pipe and one failed end cap) on our ZX 1.9D with a Roto-Diesel pump and the only indication that something was wrong was the smell of diesel.
jeremy
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I just found and repaired a split leakoff pipe on the BX (Bosch pump) symptoms were smoking and spluttering at startup, then increasingly difficult starting, eventually failing altogether, and a serious lack of power which I only found after fixing it :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
metgreentd

idle

Post by metgreentd »

ok seems the general feeling is leak off pipes.the pump is bosch my next question is where are the leak off pipes?are they the ones that go from injector to injector?thanks guys
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Yes they are.

If the engine has a EGR valve that could be the cause of the problem.

Steve.
not applicable