auto box reliability

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Mandrake wrote:
Clogzz wrote:
the LHM still has a bit of a yellowy tinge to it

Clean, uncontaminated LHM does turn yellow in time.
Mine turned from green to yellow in a few days after I did the initial change
That doesn't sound quite right Simon, it normally stays green for some time, as per your Father's Xantia even if the fluid taken out was well past its best. It might well be worth putting some Hydraflush through it as it sounds as if there has been some sort of contaminant used in the past.

The process of LHM turning yellow only appears to occur during usage, presumably due to contamination from the rubber pipes or breakdown of the molecules through pumping/pressure.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

DickieG wrote:
Mandrake wrote:
Clogzz wrote:
That doesn't sound quite right Simon, it normally stays green for some time, as per your Father's Xantia even if the fluid taken out was well past its best. It might well be worth putting some Hydraflush through it as it sounds as if there has been some sort of contaminant used in the past.

The process of LHM turning yellow only appears to occur during usage, presumably due to contamination from the rubber pipes or breakdown of the molecules through pumping/pressure.
I agree with DickieG.

I did a 1000mile hydraflush, changed the fluid, bled all the brakes etc, and it's still the same bright green after 15k miles and 12 months.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DickieG wrote:
Mandrake wrote:
Clogzz wrote:
Hi Dickie,

You must have missed the bit where I said the entire LHM system was full of RED oil when I got the car :) (probably Dex III)

I've only done one change to LHM so far, and when you do an LHM change about 10% of the oil cant be changed due to the amount sitting in piping etc, so its natural for the 10% of old oil and 90% of new oil to blend together after a few days/weeks.

(Mix green and red together and you get - yellow...)

Hydraflush is not available where I am, I'm just going to do another drain and change to fresh LHM and this time the contaimanent level should drop from 10% to 1% which should be enough to lose the yellow colour.
As I said - I've never seen this before, on nearly a dozen Citroen's I've had something to do with over the years.... generally the oil just tends to get darker and dirtier, but doesn't lose its basic green colour...

Perhaps the change in colour comes from the fact that Hydraflushing seems to be common over in the UK? Since Hydraflush is orange (?) once its been in the system its hard to get it 100% out. And gradually any remaining hydraflush will blend with the LHM and start to change the colour.

Over here nobody has ever heard of Hydraflush and I've never seen it used, so perhaps that explains why I havn't seen this colour change phenomen before.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Mandrake wrote:You must have missed the bit where I said the entire LHM system was full of RED oil when I got the car :) (probably Dex III)
Yes I forgot the earlier posting, Doh!

The strange thing about LHM is that irrespective of whether Hydraflush is used or not, in time through usage LHM changes colour from bright luminous green, to yellow before it eventually turns black.

In case you weren't aware, Hydraflush is produced by Total if you were looking to source some over there. I take it carriage from the UK would be too expensive due to the weight.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH