C5 2.2 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

C5 2.2 HDi

Post by RichardW »

I went to have a look at one of these last Friday (02 plate SX Estate, only done 36k miles) – expecting it from the advert to be a 2.0 110. I couldn’t drive it as I was pushed for time, and it was parked in on the forecourt – I’m probably going back today to have a run, but…. Anybody got any experience of them? What’s the economy like? I could live with the same 40mpg that the Xantia gives, but less would be bad. On a quick look over and feel, the gearbox felt like a bag of worms – are they all like this, or is this a bad ‘un (that would be enough to put me off). I need to check the service history too, as it’s possible it’s only had 1 service! I know there are myriad electronics to go wrong, but I guess that is true of any modern car.

The Xantia 110 Hdi I really want is eluding me at the moment…

Oh, and to anybody that’s never looked in the boot of a C5 Estate it is Huuuuuuge – there is no way you could recover a small bag that was against the seats without climbing in the boot!
Richard W
ncoll
My Cars:

Post by ncoll »

Hi,
I've had my 2.2 auto estate for some time now and the best I can get is 37.5 at 70mph using the cruise control! I get 28mpg to and from work(about 3miles each way).
Nigel
meeper
My Cars:

Post by meeper »

I have an 02 plate 2.2 hdi manual.

The gearstick on mine feels loose, always has done, so did the other one I test drove before I bought this one.

I've never beaten 42.3mpg on a run according to the on board compter, and I manage about 35/36 around town.

Make sure the boot window still opens.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

So what Xantia is it that you're after Richard?

Would be a HDi Exclusive Estate would it?

Steve.
not applicable
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

I have a 2003 c5 sx 2.0 110bhp estate love the car the gearbox was the first thing i liked really nice smooth gear change etc.Mine does local 33.6 mpg best iv'e had is 44mpg mostly motorways in france i had seen posts saying they did 50 thats bullshxt they won't,My brother has an 02 sx estate his does the same.But far better than a xantia i had one before this wouldn't go back to a xantia now.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

another take:

'er indoors' 2.2 does 40 pretty well on average - and that's usually on 4 miles there and 4 miles back trips.Highest long run trip has yielded 48mpg driving very mildly.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Had a drive last night. Seems very good. Over a mixed run of 25 miles the computer reported 40 mpg, so guess it would give about that average. Only done 34k so not really run in properly I guess - felt a bit sluggish, but working it hard a bit would probably sort that. Had annual services, despite the low miles. Couldn't make the top part of the boot open - expensive to fix / signs of impending doom? Gearbox felt fine once on the move. Certainly more comfortable than my Xantia (I find the lumbar 'support' intrusive) and there's more room for rear seat passengers behind me when I'm driving. Doesn't feel as big when driving as you might think, but that might be different when it comes to parking! Hopefully going for a run in a HDi 110 SX hatchback on Monday for comparison.
Richard W
dieseldes1

Post by dieseldes1 »

I have a 2.0 90 estate it feels a bit sluggish compared to my xantia TD though when you realise what speed you are doing maybe not! Certainly does not have the kick in the pants that the turbo diesel xantia had.
Her indoors 2l HDI 306 feels quick, so I wonder if it's the extra weight fo the estate?

My trip computer claims easy run cross country 45mpg, mixed town and motorway seems to average out at 39 to 40 MPG, Where I get the fuel seems to make more difference to performance and economy than I would have thought! The book is still open on that one though

Couldn't make the top part of the boot open - expensive to fix / signs of impending doom?
As far as mine was, it will either cost a piece of wire some black tape and 5 minutes with a soldering iron (internal wire broken) plus a replacement waterlogged switch at approx. £22 or if you have an accident with the back window (damn those loose bricks :wink: ) £60 to the insurance company!

I have had it for 6 months and 10,000+ miles and apart from some 'interesting' electrical foibles (but that is for another post!) it has not let me down. Carries a full 210l drum in the boot, you would hardly know it's there.
Doesn't feel as big when driving as you might think, but that might be different when it comes to parking!
That I would agree with, I still can't judge the length when reversing and it is a big car :?

definately not the same car as the Xantia and it took me while to get used to it, but after 6 months I like it :D even with the electronics.....

Des
Last edited by dieseldes1 on 28 Mar 2007, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.
C5 2L 90hp estate 2001 118,000
Peugot 2L HDI 2000 82,000
Xantia 2 1.9TD Estate 1998 100,000 'oops' does not mate with BMW
Xantia 1.9TD saloon 1996 120,000 Sold
Honda CB450dx 1990
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

>>Hopefully going for a run in a HDi 110 SX hatchback on Monday for comparison.

The SX won't have hydractive, can't you find a Exclusive to try?

Steve.
not applicable
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

"The SX won't have hydractive"

A C5 will :lol: Xantia Exclusive HDis are few and far between, and even further with the 110 engine.... I think I am resigned to the C5 route now - although I fully expect that a week after I buy one the Xantia I wanted will turn up just down the road :roll:
Richard W
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

I don't know if mine would fit the bill but when the XMs sorted out the Xantia will be probably be up for sale. I'm not keeping both so it's one or the other that's going.

Steve.
not applicable
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

I thought all Exclusives had the 110 fitted?
not applicable
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

My 02 2.2 SX gets around 34-35 MPG, doing 10 mile trips to work and lots of short trips.
The best I ever got was 49.5MPG on cruise at 70.
In really bad winds driving at 70 on cruise I only got 44

I like it apart from the Particulate filter that a dealer will repalce at every 50000 miles. The Eolys for the particulate filter can clog the turbo.

The SX has the hydractive 3+ with the sport button.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My 2.2 hatchback has loads of room. Is very comfortable and the Hydractive 3+ suspension is impressive even when sports mode isn't switched on.
My wife loves the smooth ride and comfort and anyone I give a lift always remarks on the comfort.

Over the last 3500 miles my trip computer averaged at 34.9 mpg and my mileage against fuel put in would agree with this. This is over a daily run to work of 25 miles of stop start twisty country lanes.

I did a run to the Welsh coast with 5 adults in. I didn't look at the trip computer because I expected the worst. I gave it some welly and enjoyed the drive. When I got back I was amazed to see the trip computer for that journey averaged at 38.7 mpg which I was "pleased" with (comparing it to what I'd been used to). I took my wife shopping one day (40 mile round trip on good roads) and it averaged 41.7 mpg.

The urban cycle is claimed at 32.5 mpg. So, the mpg you get realy depends on the roads you drive along.

I serviced it last Saturday. I changed oil (Total Quartz 9000 - fully synthetic), oil filter, I fitted a K&N panel air filter and I changed the fuel filter. The old fuel filter was quite grey with some residue in the filter bowl, so, it was well due for a new element.

I also had a look at the throttle position sensor and took some slack out of the cable.

After this work, the car is more responsive and the mpg for my run to work is averaging at 38.2.

Example of more response is - there's some roadworks on the M6. You're limited to 40 mph. I have been cruising in 5th gear. At the end of the roadworks everyone puts their foot down. Previously if I put my foot down in 5th it gained speed very slowly whilst others were wizzing past me. I did this last Monday. put my foot down in fifth and the C5 flew away. The smile on my face was from ear to ear.

Fingers crossed it's going to be good news from now on. So, if it's set up right the 2.2 Hdi looks like it can be rewarding. I've since then had run ins with Passat Tdi 130 s and I've held my own very well. These always used to leave me standing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

KevMayer wrote:
I also had a look at the throttle position sensor and took some slack out of the cable.
Hi Kev, where is this cable ad sensor? My car would probably benefit from this as it feels like the response from the engine is mostly in the last bit of travel from the accelerator.
Thanks
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.