Suspension Height Drawing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Suspension Height Drawing

Post by deian »

Has anyone got a link or a copy of the technical drawing from citroen regarding the height of the xantia by any chance. Mine will need adjusting real soon. It will be muchly appreciated.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

not applicable
deian

Post by deian »

brilliant, exactly what i'm looking for, thanks for that... one more question... where exactly under the car do we call the top (start measuring down), the image seems a little vague?

thanks
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The front one I thought would be fairly obvious ?

The rear one not quite as obvious - if you look at the rear rubber bushes that mount the suspension chassis to the body, immediately behind that and a bit higher up there is a flat square area of body panel - this is where you measure to.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I am sure I read somewhere on here that the normal ride height is half way between the lowest and highest setting. Can anyone confirm this?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the hights dont normaly need any adjusting unless someone or something has done something on the car which could throw the settings out
regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

like a broken metal link coming off the clamp, fun and games over the weekend though :( thanks for the clarification simon
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

According to Simon half way isn't right because of compression of the suspension parts at full height. This makes sense really because if half way was right then that's how Citroen would specify it.

Steve.
not applicable
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It's definately not half way between minimum and maximum height - it seems intuitive at first until you realize that the maximum height position puts a LOT of force on the limit stop rubbers and compresses them a lot more than the weight of the car does resting on the lower limit stops in the minimum height position.

(Also unlike some older Citroen's with double wishbones, the upper and lower limit stops are not the same - especially on the McPherson struts)

If you try measuring it you'll find that the "half way" point is approx 20-30mm higher than the height specified by Citroen. (And very dependant on the condition of the rubber snubbers)

Best to stick with the quoted figures.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not too bad a rule of thumb with the half & half rule :wink:
Another easy rule of thumb is horisontal driveshafts at front and horisontal (longitudinal) rear arms.
Or even simpler : horisontal driveaxles at front, thereafter adjust rear to get sills exactly parallel to ground.

- but still its not 'right by the papers'
- and it will possibly never, ever be because of the factual tyre make, type, size, wear, inflation, ground flatness, temperature and any body structure damages on the measuring points together makes for too much hassle making it worth going by the 'paper' :lol:

Its a matter of a practical attitude really :idea:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:- but still its not 'right by the papers'
- and it will possibly never, ever be because of the factual tyre make, type, size, wear, inflation, ground flatness, temperature and any body structure damages on the measuring points together makes for too much hassle making it worth going by the 'paper' :lol:

Its a matter of a practical attitude really :idea:
The diagram above is actually a "simplified" one sourced from the Haynes book, and it doesn't take into account tyre differences and inflation etc as you point out.

However I also have the ride height information from the Citroen manual and it has a simple procedure that DOES take into account tyre differences by getting you to measure the distance from the ground to the centre of the wheel, and include that figure when calculating the height to the body. It also has correct figures for other model variations such as Activa, as there are some small differences.

If I get a chance I'll scan them in and upload them. (I don't have a scanner of my own)

Using this "correct" method with the 205/60/15 tyres on 15" alloys on my car agrees with the bottom column in the above table within just a few mm, but will probably vary with other tyres/rims.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its allright Simon -

I just wanted to point that there is no point in going by hours calculating, adjusting, testing, reading - and then do it over again - to reach a paper figure. To try kick in a practical approach to survive those everyday small hassles :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

Proper Citroen figures would be cool Simon, i'll be needing mine done soon anyway.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:Proper Citroen figures would be cool Simon, i'll be needing mine done soon anyway.
Here you go, as promised:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... ia_height/

I managed to get a few minutes at work to scan the relevant pages. :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
deian

Post by deian »