C5 Hdi. 2Ltr. Cold engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmd
My Cars:

C5 Hdi. 2Ltr. Cold engine

Post by jmd »

Is this a normally cold car. Example - Outside Temp 8C. I drive the car for a distance of 10 miles. Heater off. After 5 miles the Temp Gauge has not reached the half way point. After 8 miles it's nearly at the half way point, where it stays at the end of my 10 Ml journey, at which point I am stationery, engine running & turn on my Heater and Blower fully. I do have heat "of sorts", While running the Heater and Blower fully I notice my gauge gradually dropping almost into the cold (blue). At this point I check my Radiator & top Hose, both are warm, not unbearably hot as I would expect, but only comfortable heat on my hands. Does anybody agree that I need to renew my Thermostat.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I really think you do!!!! :wink:

I once had a 205 like that and the big problem running so cool is that the oil never reaches a decent temperature and this can lead to all kinds of problems. It does not lubricate well and there is never enough heat to evaporate any moisture in the oil.

You know you have a problem when your passengers dress up like Eskimos..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Citrojim . Thanks for your comment. I have changed the Thermostat & all in fine-the needle is reaching where it should, and the heater is behaving as it should. Also flushed the system, and renewed coolant. And I asked my dealer for the special Anti-Freeze for the C5, and having read the ingredient on the label, it seems to be nothing more than good old Ethyl-Glycol, mixed (with distilled water I hope ) to give protection at temperatures of -35C (God forbid we would get that sort of weather.