XUD TD Bosch pump problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Laurie,

Just seen your thread.
Sounds like you found the problem just in time.
Yes, I have heard that before, welding the pulley to the crank.

On the BX, you can change the belt without removing the pulley, just remove the plastic bit at the bottom, held on with 2 bolts, that gives enough clearance to get the old belt off and the new one on.

May be the Xantia is similar...

Good luck Brian
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

G4EIY wrote:On the BX, you can change the belt without removing the pulley, just remove the plastic bit at the bottom, held on with 2 bolts, that gives enough clearance to get the old belt off and the new one on.
Had to do that on a 306 when I could not budge the bolt. The bottom cover wraps round the pulley, so I had to break it to get it off. But there are two bolts holding it on, and I have come across other broken covers. It doesn't seem to matter.
Brian.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Oh well, in that case (the cambelt is nearly new) I'll just degrease everything, file up a nice tight oversize Woodruff key and *Devcon it all together!

*Devcon is a high duty epoxy/metal mix paste-adhesive/filler, which can be drilled and tapped after it is cured
Had to do that on a 306 when I could not budge the bolt. The bottom cover wraps round the pulley, so I had to break it to get it off. But there are two bolts holding it on, and I have come across other broken covers. It doesn't seem to matter.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

XUD bottom pulley loose contd.

Post by lolingram »

I have made the new Woodruff Key from high tensile bolt material, and oil quenched it from red - then 'tempered' back to blue colour as shown. I have made the key much longer than std. so that it relays both the cam drive pulley, as well as eventually the engine dampler/aux drive pulleys together.

Now fitted the cogged cam drive bottom pulley with Locktite #638. When this has set, I will renew the cambelt and replace the engine damper pulley.

See: http://www.topcorp1.com/swing/top.html

The advice was good, as it caused me to take a closer look at the pulley, which certainly saved catastrophic engine failure.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj