C5 Coolant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JT
My Cars:

C5 Coolant

Post by JT »

Has anyone changed the coolant on a C5.
I went to do mine at the weekend, only to discover that there appears to be no tap or drain valve at the bottom of the rad. There is a pipe coming from the bottom of the rad which is held on with some sort of spring clip. Should I try to release this clip and pipe and drain from the bottom of the rad or am I missing something?
Also, I can only see one bleed point at the top of the thermostat housing.
Are there any more I should look for.
JT
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: C5 Coolant

Post by AndersDK »

JT wrote:There is a pipe coming from the bottom of the rad which is held on with some sort of spring clip. Should I try to release this clip and pipe and drain from the bottom of the rad or am I missing something?
Sounds like the drain hose - as found an all other recent cars.

I have only ever seen a regular coolant drain tap on old BLMC's :lol: :lol:

Donno of other bleed points, but the old trick always applies : use a bottom-less plastic bottle (upside down) as a header tank in the coolant filler neck.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

The "Spring Clip" which you refer to, can be unfastened & moved along the hose with a "Plumbers Pliers" & moved back in place (refastened) again after draining. Don't forget that Citroen use their own special (Bio-degradable) coolant in the C5. It is supposed not to need changing & if mixed with the older type Ethyl-Glycol coolant will curd in the radiator & engine. I had reason to learn a few things about this recently as my son has a C5 and a previous owned added had added LHM to the coolant.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

Thanks for the help guys.
I will pull off the hose to drain and refill with a header bottle.
However I didn't know the C5 used special coolant. Is it only available from a citroen dealer?
And why did the previous owner put LHM in the coolant? :D
JT
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Citroen - and any other car manufacturer - will always tend to call thier vehicle fluids for special fluids. This is to make sure the local dealers and garages stays in business on these items as well as special service parts.

Bio-degradeable means its a whole different type than the usual 'red' or 'blue' coolant fluids. And will not mix well either with these types.
Still the bio.degradeable are available now from most places offering the 2 other coolant types.

In the future we will see much more like that, i.e. 'bio-degradeable' fluids & service items from car manufacturers. As with any other new items in the trade, it will be 'special' until the public gets accustomed to it, and the items can be purchased the usual places.

Just think about carburettor-alcohol ('de-icer'), BV & BVM* -oil (gearbox oil - the usual hypoid stuff) and windscreen washer fluid. These fluids have been 'specials' for quite some time now.

BV & BVM* = french : Boite Vitesse Manual = box speed manual = manual gearbox
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

jmd wrote: It is supposed not to need changing .
What makes you think that ? Citroen recomend changing the C5 coolant every 5 years.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Looks like bio-degradeable then. I have to admit I hadn't even heard of it until now.
The wonders of modern car technology?? :)
JT
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"What makes you think that ? Citroen recomend changing the C5 coolant every 5 years."
Bit late on this but according to my "Revue Technique" for a Xantia HDi, in 2000 Citroen used coolant which was "for life" and never needs changing - same for C5?
Phil
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

I have since changed my Thermostat, and drained the system. I requested this "Special Coolant" for the C5, from a Citroen dealer was given Ctroen or Total, brand Premixed to withstand temperatures of -35C. (I live in Ireland, not Russia, and God forbid we would ever get that sort of weather) It was blue in colour, and on checking the label I find it's based on Ethyl-Glycol which we have all been using for years and is recommended for Alumenium heads. It's not biodegradable of course. It seems its fine for the C5, but CANNOT be mixed or added to the Biodegradable one. In future I will probably do what I have been doing with my Xantia for years. But Ethyl Glycol neat and mix 50%-50% with distilled water, and change it every 2 years.