aux belt tensioner on a 2.1 xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

Do you have the part numbers for the adjusters?

My belt has slipped over a notch and I think the top tensioner has gone.

Thanks
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Here you go:

(Item on pic / part no / description / price £ inc VAT)

3: 575130 ALTERNATOR TENSION ROLLER 86.84
5: 575181 TENSIONNER ALTERNATOR 66.51
7: 575129 ALTERNATOR TENSION ROLLER 83.84

OUCH :twisted:
Richard W
windysurferuk

Post by windysurferuk »

cheers for that.

Do you have a link for the picture?

I need to be sure I'm buying the right one at those prices!!
Xantia 2.1TD SX 130000
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i've had a strange noise on my 2.1td xantia since i got it in the summer it's a sort of droning noise on and off and only when cold, today i had a look under it to find the alternator belt flapping about on the bottom of the run, once the car is warm it's fine and the belt seems to be tight, is there any kind of adjustment that can be made or is it all automatic :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Could anyone explain why my 1.9TD with a/c 97 Xantia has the same tensioners as a 2.1?

ie parts 3, 5 & 7

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 32051A.gif

Haynes manual shows it as having completely different ones.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My 1998 A/c 1905 Xantia has those too, and the belt flaps at idle :cry:
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
pazauk
My Cars:

Post by pazauk »

Sorry not had chance to change my auto ten and spring (rugby on too much beer ect..... ) i've not forgoten and will tell you all how it goes!
pazauk
red5
My Cars:

Post by red5 »

I have just replaced the tensioner and the idle pulley on my 1.9td, quite a fiddly job but got there in the end, made the car an awfull lot quieter now the belt is not slapping. I got the bits from gsf for around £80, noticed the pulley is now made out of palstic, i would allow 4 hours or so to do the job if you havent done one before.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I've just changed the auto (top) tensioner on my 1999 1.9TD SX. It was not that noisy but I already had the hyd pump, alternator and casting that holds the tensioner removed to get to the aircon pump bolts.

I noticed two things. The tensioner had play and the bearings were noisy.... and it was sticking on the pivot. What that was doing was making it auto tension through about half the normal range. That would be a damn good reason for the common belt flap and associated noise.

Unfortunately the tensioner wheel/bearing/alloy mount/pivot bolt are all one part (no. 3 in http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 32051A.gif ). Cost over £70!!

When the casting where the tensioner is mounted is off the engine it is easy to test the range and smoothness of movement with a sump drain square headed adaptor in the recess provided... and a 1/2" drive T-bar. The spring is so strong though that you might confuse this pivot seizing with it just being the tension. With the spring off it is easier to feel.

If your tensioner wheel bearing is smooth the main assembly pivot can be stripped/cleaned/greased in no time (EDIT: Or so it seemed until I just cleaned all the gunge off the old one. See my next post below) without having to buy anything.

As red5 says allow plenty of time. One of the most tricky bits on mine was that the aircon "bottle" (bit with the sight glass) nearly stopped the alternator coming out.

Anyway that is another job ticked off!

DW
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Further to my post above I've just had a look at the old auto tensioner assy before throwing it away. I said above that if it was just a stiff pivot you could easily clean and grease. Well so it looked but never bothered to take one apart before as no need with a new pivot being part of the new assy.

Examining it properly explains why the auto tensioner fails to work properly and why Citroen supply the full assy not just the pulley.

The pivot is a steel tube with a through bolt running in two roller bearings fitted to the alloy housing.

At each end of the steel bearing tube there were deep imprints of the matching roller! I mean about 40-50% of the roller dia. This meant that the effect of the spring tension was to not only follow the belt as designed but also to hold the rollers tight in these dips. The spring operates at one end of the bearing and the bearing at the other so there is a end force at well as rotational one. It will be this end force causing the "brinelling" of the bearing.

Actually much in the same way as the Citroen rear arms... and a problem with all bearings that do not constantly rotate.

I have some great images if they could be mailed to someone who would host them and post here.

David
2006 C3 HDi Desire
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

David,

E-mail them to my work address you should have somewhere, and I'll find somewhere to stick them. My geocities account is nearly full, but I can start another one :lol:
Richard W
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Richard,

Cleared out the whole mail system about 6mths ago so no old details. As in a previous post today I'm happy to leave this old disposable mail address up here until you've seen it and got in touch. Then I'll mail the images.

woollard etc......

Thanks,

David
Last edited by David W on 29 Mar 2007, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
2006 C3 HDi Desire
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

so is the tensioner assembly the same as on the 2.1td because a previous post suggests that the tensioner assembly is around £230
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

The bit I fitted to a 1.9TD (1999) was... 3: 575130 ALTERNATOR TENSION ROLLER £86.84

With discount it cost me £73.81 inc vat.

I think the £230 was for everything... the top tensioner above plus the bottom manual tensioner and the spring for the top tensioner.

To be honest having seen the pivot problems I mentioned I wonder if the spring might not be the problem but more the fact it is prevented from springing smoothly.

David
2006 C3 HDi Desire
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

this tensioner business has got me baffled, first off my crank pulley looks like it's got a slight buckle in it not as much as i first thought it's maybe about 2mm out off true, ive had it off and it all looks solid a new one is £144 dealer only part, so i'm not about to rush out and pay that unless i'm sure it needs replacing.
i'm also suffering from the flapping belt on tickover, i've had the belt off and both tensioner rollers feel smooth and the spring feels free and strong enough, the belt looks quite old but the tensioner is not at the end of it's travel so i don't see this being the problem either.