Boot lock.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goldfinche
My Cars:

Boot lock.

Post by goldfinche »

Hello all. 1993 ZX td. It seems that the boot lock has failed. It does not unlock with the central locking or the key. When pressed the button goes in but does not feel as if its contacting anything, the button returns out .
Any ideas without resorting to a angle grinder or crow bar please.
Thanks.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 Turbo diesel automatic.BX.
1993 ZX td. slowly dieing.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Can you climb into the boot? all of the central locking gubbins is behind the central inspection panel, once this is off you should be able to operate the lock manually, the actuator is mounted on the rear wiper motor, it appears tobe the same as the door ones.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

There is a circlip on the back of the lock, holding everything in place. It vanished on mine once - the same may have happened on yours.

As Stewart says, climb into the boot, remove the plastic cover, and you should be able to open the boot by hand (the pushing of the lock operates a lever to release the boot catch as I remember - it's quite obvious when you see it). The lock is then fairly easy to remove and examine.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Had this on our ZX - button did nothing at all - and when I removed it I found that the operating spike on it had fallen off. Its a flat plate with a rod at right angles which operates the lock and carries the the lock motor rod on it. Its held to the lock with a flange formed from the lock monkey metal.

I repaired mine by drilling into the end of the lock (there's about 1/2 inch of metal which surprised me!) tapped it, fitted a cut off bolt as a stud and secured it with adhesive, then locked the plate on with a couple of nuts. Been OK for 2 years now.

To get the tailgate open, undo the thumbscrews in the lock plastic cover and fiddle around with the lock mechanism. I think you pull the flat plate forward and the lock releases. The lock and handle are held in with a circlip, tap it to the off side with a block of wood and a hammer.
jeremy
goldfinche
My Cars:

Boot lock.

Post by goldfinche »

Thankyou all will be investigating the thing today and will let you know the results later.
Cheers.
Geoff.
goldfinche
My Cars:

Quality!!!!!!!!!

Post by goldfinche »

Hello well the lock now works sort of, I have left the inside cover off untill I can think of a perminent fix.
The problem was that there was so much slop in the button mechanism that the pin had detached itself from the central locking plastic lever and when pushed was missing the lock lever/plate.
This and the complete set of lock/ign barrels were replaced about 9 months ago and already the heater has packed up because the switch contacts have burnt out.
Thank you all for your help.
Cheers.
Geoff.