Xsara ECU

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mugatea

Xsara ECU

Post by mugatea »

A few weeks ago I took my xsara to a garage cause of the problems of jumping revs on start-up and the occasional engine cut-off while driving. Anyway, he said the throttle assembly had been played with and reset it back to normal, gave it a good clean and did some other stuff. He said the ECU was trying to balance it out and it was causing the car to act funny. It drives so much better and smoother now.

He also said tho that the ECU was giving out some false readings that he couldnt do anything with and that if I did want it fixed I'd need a new ECU cause I couldnt use a second hand one. His reason had something to do with the immobiliser.

I want to sell this car eventually and altho it's so much better, its still has jumpy revs at times on idle and it aint perfect. So is it true that I cant get a second hand computer? He said a new one would cost me £500 which is not much less than what I paid for the car.

Jamie
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wonder if the throttle potentiometer has failed. They can be 'Repaired' by cleaning and re-aligning things - and it sounds as though this has been done - possibly not very well.

Could be a new potentiometer will sort things.
jeremy