Xantia 1.9TD brake discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonT
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD brake discs

Post by SimonT »

Hi, can anyone tell me what size (and thread) the small screws are that secure the brake discs to the hubs as mine are very corroded and will have to be replaced when I fit my new discs and pads.
Also, the front caliper bolts are totally seized and will not come off, so does anyone have any clever ways or doing this too or is it just a case of time and loads of WD40?
Thanks for reading this.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My friendly accessory shop holds a small stock of disc securing screws - I mention this as they seem fairly universal.

Certainly on a BX and ZX you don't need to remove the caliper to get the disc off. Remove the pads and the disc securing screws (an impact driver is handy) and it should come out. It may need some persuasion (I had to use a lump hammer on my BX)

Make sure the mounting face is clean and free of rust before fitting the new disc - otherwise it may distort or not run true.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if we are talking front discs i think you can remove them with out removing the caliper carrier,also i dont remember if the xantia has the 5 sided bolt heads which the bx has,if so you will need a special socket to undo these if you do need to
regards malcolm
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm,

Well I replaced the front discs on mine recently, and I don't think there is any way you can do it without removing the caliper carrier - its impossible to tilt the disk enough to clear the main wheel studs with it in place.... YMMV...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Most have wheel bolts not studs!
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The small disc retaining bolts should be countersink M6 10-12mm bolts.
Whats important on these bolts is : NEVER torque/tigthen them up :!:
Lube with a tiny bit of copraslip and then just nip them up.
The ONLY function of these bolts is to keep the disc in place and align the disc wheelbolt holes with the hub wheelbolt holes - until the wheel is refitted with the wheelbolts ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The retaining screws were siezed on my Xantia,& on my 406 when changed the disks & pads a few months ago.I just used a large drill bit to drill the screw head off,then a pair of grips to remove the screw stud once the disks were off.I never botherd replacing the screws,as Anders says they are only there to stop the disk moving when the wheel is off.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
whitecrook2
My Cars:

Post by whitecrook2 »

My set of discs I replaced the other month came with new securing screws (brembos) .

One time before I knew better one of the securing screws wasn't fully home, although it was tight, and I tried to tighten it and it sheared. That was annoying.
--
96 1.9td estate 170K, 97 R activa
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

whitecrook2 wrote:My set of discs I replaced the other month came with new securing screws (brembos) .
So did the set I fitted to my Dad's 406.

The screws are not needed if you can't find any. The wheel bolts/nuts are what really hold the disc in place not the M6 screws. They are only their to stop the disc trying to fall on your toes when working on the brakes :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

jeremy wrote:Most have wheel bolts not studs!
Sorry...

Wasn't thinking, of course it has bolts :lol:

But I still found it impossible to tilt the disc enough to clear the centre hub as the caliper mounts only clear the disc by about 1mm on either side and overlap the discs by about 40mm... at least on my 2.0i with the 266mm discs they do...(smaller discs than a 1.9TD)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had the larger 283mm disks on my TD est.I always removed the caliper.I used the correct size hex/star socket,cant remember which,with a long breaker bar to crack the 2 bolts,with the wheels turned full lock for better access.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The disc securing screws do have a few purposes in life.

The elementary one is saving you having to explain to a tyre fitter why he cant find a hole for the wheel bolts.

The more significant one is that if it comes loose there is a real chance that rust or dirt will fall into the gap between the disc and the hub face - and prevent the disc seating properly - which means that the disc will distort or feel as if it has.
jeremy
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Thank you to all these replies. It's given me all the help I need to tackle this job now. What a great forum! Cheers all.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Mandrake wrote:Hmm,

Well I replaced the front discs on mine recently, and I don't think there is any way you can do it without removing the caliper carrier - its impossible to tilt the disk enough to clear the main wheel studs with it in place.... YMMV...

Regards,
Simon
Simon you may be right as it a while since i have been there with a xant,

SimonT if you dont have the disc retaining srews in it might leed to endless fun one dark wet night if you have to change a tyre miles from nowhere
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The caliper retaining bolts are torx T55. You won't be able to change the discs without removing them. If they're really stuffed / tight, then you may need to strip the hub off the car (should be possible with the disc in place....) then get the hub in the vice to get some proper leverage on the caliper bolts :twisted:
Richard W