running costs maths... lpg vs diesel, v6 vs 2.1td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

rossnunn wrote:its amazing isn't it. There's no real ensentive from the government to go for either bio or LPG, yet it supposed to be much better for the enviroment?
LPG only really benefits the local area through cleaner exhaust fumes, it doesn't do all that much for CO2 emissions.

Bio Diesel has a huge drawback in that it needs vast amounts of arable land to grow the crops to produce the biodiesel. At the moment this means chopping down the rain forest.

At the moment the best engine for the global environment is a modern diesel running on regular diesel. Electric just moves the pollution elsewhere and hybrid technology just isn't there yet.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

LPG only really benefits the local area through cleaner exhaust fumes, it doesn't do all that much for CO2 emissions.

Bio Diesel has a huge drawback in that it needs vast amounts of arable land to grow the crops to produce the biodiesel. At the moment this means chopping down the rain forest.
True lpg doesnt have the smallest CO2 footprint out there.

Biodiesel does need space to grow yes. Depending on which type of base plant you use depends on how much. As for cutting down rainforest this only happens if people buy palm oil based bio or palm oil based anything. BTW palm oil is probably in half the daily products you use in your house from food to cleaners.
If you buy rapeseed based bio then it will most likely have been grown in europe and last time no rainforest was touched.

Personally i would love to see more research into growing it in vats/lakes of alge. There is some research going on in newzealand along those line using sewerplant output so it is multipurpose and alot cleaner on many levels.
406 lx 1.9td estate
deian

Post by deian »

sewer plant? and clean? lol :?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Currently much of the small scale biodiesel production (at least from my supplier) is from waste oil so it has already done its job cooking turkey twizzlers for the county`s children, as it is produced from a renewable resource it is carbon neutral, biodiesel also produces far less particulate "visible smoke" (my MOT tester asked whether the engine was running :wink: ) LPG is still a fossil fuel and the concensus seems to be that converted vehicles burn more of the stuff, ie fewer MPG, granted the emissions are cleaner but someone running a V8 on the stuff and getting around 20 MPG can hardly claim to be an environmental champion compared to a 50 MPG diesel.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'm pretty sure our local power station runs, at least partly, on poo briquettes.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have seen a landfill catching methane gas and running a one megawatt caterpillar generator on it, power to the grid, they were talking about putting a second one in, where theres muck theres brass.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
deian

Post by deian »

if only everybody was as creative as that!
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

It is how they produce the bio diesel that is not very green.

One of the products used in the transesterfication process is methanol. Where does most of our methanol come from? Yes you guessed it natural gas :D

There are other ways to make bio diesel but most of it is currently made using methanol.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Agreed methanol is used in the manufacture of biodiesel but it is a very small percentage , up to a maximum of around 4% IIRC
Stewart
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

It's can be as high as 25% methanol if it is used oil that is being converted. Some of the methanol can be reclaimed after use but I suspect most small produces don't because of the expense and safety issues.

Bio diesel can be produced using ethanol which is in turn made from fermenting corn.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have a glass of fermented ethanol in front of me right now :wink:
Stewart
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

It may not be relevent, but I did some sums for LPG or TD.

Against the mileage I do per year of approx 12k and suprising although LPG is approx. 40p/ltr against diesel at approx. 91p/ltr. The TD works out alot cheaper due to its high MPG and depending what engine size you might get the Road fund license is cheaper too over a petrol variant of the same performance. :?
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
deian

Post by deian »

thanks for getting back on subject sooty, i hear your words, the xm 3.0 v6 24v is a rare car and has double the power of my xantia, and half the mileage, having only 108k at K reg, thats quite low.

(don't get me wrong here, i have made my mind up) but i will still ask the question just to get an opinion: whether i sell my 1998, Xantia 2.1td exclusive with 201k miles and buy a 1992 XM 3.0i V6 24v with 108k miles for the same price as i sell the xantia (hopefully a grand).
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thats quite true sooty but it depends on if you want a diesel or petrol in first place or if you want cheap running :)

I had a Xantia LX td running on veg and nothing beat it, 615miles to £24 of veg compared to 190miles on LPG in the coupe which is about 36litres in the tank as well :)

But then again then Xantia takes shed loads of kit in it and has a very good ride upto about 80ish but at that speed and over the coupe beats it hands down on a run(unless you come to the highly maintained sections of our road network!) and still returns the same MPG there abouts :)
genius149
My Cars:

Post by genius149 »

KP wrote:The problem is you cant get free congestion it has to have been covnerted by the manufacturer or be on the database thing which aint cheap to do.

No reduction in tax either for people who convert after their car was made either im afraid.
I don't drive through London so have never had to worry about the database problem.

I do save a tenner a year on tax - not much, but it's just under half a tank of LPG so it's about 100-120 free miles a year. :)
XM 2.5TD Exclusive - now deceased :(
Hand-me-down Xantia TD SX (killed)
Wife - 2000 Activa (sold)
2000 Xantia 1.8 16v DualFuel (killed/sold)
Current - '99 S2 Activa +Leather+winter pack