XM vs. Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

12month MOT
New headlight,
New exhaust section at the rear..... PM me if you really want but i suspesct for what im looking you could sell the pug on as spares or repair on ebay or the like and it would pay for more than half what im asking from the going rate of spares or repairs ive seen on there of late, more non working than working ones of late lol!

oh and its lighter too lol!!
genius149
My Cars:

Post by genius149 »

After having an XM 2.5TD exclusive that surprised quite a few of the boys in their golfs and beemers before it became uneconomical (Hindsight is a horrible thing :cry: ) to repair, I got a Lexus GS300 that had been converted to LPG.
The GS gives me approx 20-22 MPG which is a little below stock, but because I get my gas from Morrisons at (currently) 42.9p/l it's costing me less than 10p/mile (approx 250 miles from about £24 - about 50-55 litres). I also get a £5.00 voucher to spend every 3 weeks or so just for filling up there.
The XM used to cost me approx £70 and I used to get 650-700 miles between fill-ups. It was a bit slow though, but cruise control is a wonderful thing.

Useful thing to remember with LPG is that it also means you don't have to pay the London congestion charge and that half the governments fleet (including 2 Jag's Jags!) are LPG converted.

Comparing Xantia to XM, I prefer the XM but then I do a lot of miles and prefer the comfort. But then I am easily pleased - the centre console thingy that went up and down electrically was immensely entertaining for me for all of 5 mins. Now I have a Lexus and the steering wheel is electrically adjustable and entertains me every morning instead :lol:

God I'm sad!!!
XM 2.5TD Exclusive - now deceased :(
Hand-me-down Xantia TD SX (killed)
Wife - 2000 Activa (sold)
2000 Xantia 1.8 16v DualFuel (killed/sold)
Current - '99 S2 Activa +Leather+winter pack
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

This is what I drive everyday ...

Getcha self one to try before there all gone, and the ones that are left are out of the average persons reach :) Oneday people will suddenly wake up to what a great car these things were, and they'll become saught after by collectors all over.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

42.9p/l is what i call expensive. there is a place i know that sell it for 33p/l to joe public and if your good you get it for 30p/l :D

no fancy rebates like morrisons though but still super cheap, ie 1/3 the price of petrol.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

KP wrote:42.9p/l is what i call expensive. there is a place i know that sell it for 33p/l to joe public and if your good you get it for 30p/l :D

no fancy rebates like morrisons though but still super cheap, ie 1/3 the price of petrol.
Yes, though isn't that beacuse you're not paying vehicle excise duty and it
comes in those big red house heating bottles that you have to manually
extract into the car!?

Andrew
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Nope it comes from a place wher ei can pick it up 24/7 anyday of year by using a card.

It goes onto it and you then get sent an invoice, phone up and pay over the phone :) use as little or much as you like! and if you use shed loads im sure you can get it a bit cheaper as well...
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Sorry to butt in but (!) is the information correct on not needing a CAT on a dual fuel car? I can understand that if the car was LPG only it would be OK but if dual fuel then surely it must meet emissions on the dirtiest fuel? For example say you were stopped by the inspectorate and they asked you to switch over to petrol on a de-cat'd car, it would fail and a fine would be issued. Just a thought.

Has any member tried a LPG boosted diesel?

Steve.
not applicable
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Yeah if you take an LPG car for an MOT as long as its running on LPG it can pass with no CAT as the only emmisions check is a visible one :)

*in my experience they dont need to be running on LPG but i guess it depends on on the MOT Station.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I've had this confirmed by my usual MOT guy too - weird loophole in this
draconian day and age though!?

Guess if you're about to pay for a new CAT you're nearly halfway to getting
an LPG kit fitted when weighing up the costs!! :wink:

Andrew
deian

Post by deian »

shane, that CX looks mean as the devil itself! I like it, they are expensive to buy over here though. If i had the money I would consider buying one yes!
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

There's a very nice XM for sale here -

http://www.e-crofting.com

Steve.
not applicable
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I must have missed this topic, it must have been going while I was away! I have run XMs for the last ten years or more and to my mind there is nothing available now that comes near them. The 2.1 td manual estate is my poison, I have looked at many cars as a possible replacement but have failed to find one.

There doesn't seem to be another car with as much room in it, except possibly the Merc E class and they are expensive, unreliable and go rusty. There certainly isnt one that gives as good a ride, maybe a Roller, but they dont make a diesel estate! and all this with with up to 50 mpg or more, driven sensibly. Can anyone reccoment a replacement?
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

steelcityuk wrote:There's a very nice XM for sale here -

http://www.e-crofting.com

Steve.
With the later V6 as well... If I had the cash I would buy it, beautiful!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Peter.N. wrote: I have looked at many cars as a possible replacement
but have failed to find one. ...Can anyone reccoment a replacement?
Nope!! Sorry Peter, the Cx and Xm ARE a hard act to follow!
Guess you've looked at and discounted the C5 estate?

Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Andrew

The C5 estate seems about nearest, but the seats are not long enough for me, and I am rather put off by the apparent fragility of the engine. My last XM had done 292k when I sold it and my last CX 266k! The only one I have half considered is the BMW 5 series, while they have nothing like as much room as the XM they do have a nice engine and they are much easier to work on than the majority of modern cars. Unless anyone knows different?

Peter.