Starting Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveG

Post by SteveG »

As the concensus of opinion here is that it might be a glow-plug issue (i.e. needing them even if the engine is hot) I'm going to try that over the next few days and see what happens.

I'll report back on progress and/or to get other suggestions.

Incidentally, the wiring diagram in the HBOL doesn't show a fuel stop solenoid in either the starting or TD fuel heating circuit. Confusing?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Steve,if you find its a glow plug fault & you fancy changing them,give me a shout as i have a nice kit of bent spanners to get the plug behind the fuel pump out :D .I can get them all done in an hour or so.
I put a set of new Beru plugs on it in june/july 2005.
Hope you get it sorted ok.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Okay, I did a bit of experimenting today and found:
1. I only need to be stopped for about 2 mins with the engine off but ignition on (to either the 1st or 2nd key position) for the starting problem to manifest itself.
2. Turning the ignition off and then trying to start the engine (after the 2 min period) results in non-starting
3. Turning the ignition off, waiting for about 5 seconds, then turning the ignition to the 2nd key position, waiting for the glow-plug light to go out and then starting the engine results in it starting straight away.

So, it would appear that I need to wait for the glow-plug light to go out before she will start. Why the 5 second wait in 3 above? Because turning the key back to the 2nd position without waiting results in the glow-plug light not coming on and the engine not starting.

Whilst I'm still none the wiser as to why it happens, at least now I know how to get around the problem and it's something I can live with. Happy day :-)

Thanks to all who put forward suggestions.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Doesn't seem abnormal to me - the glowplugs run for 2-3 minutes when the engine is cold with the key on, then shut off, so leaving the key on will eventually cause them to go out, and then it wont start.

(As others have mentioned this engine seems to need glowplugs for every start, hot or cold)

A 5 second timeout is probably part of the design of the timer, and probably for some good (if not obvious) reason.

Also if your car has had a turbo timer fitted it may be interfering with the resetting of the glowplug timer - my mums 1.9TD has an aftermarket turbo timer and if the car fails to start the first time turning the key off and on isn't enough to reset the glowplug timer - you have to press the forced shutdown button on the turbo timer in between turning the key off and on again to get the glowplugs to go again. (Or wait the full turbo cool-down time period - annoying)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Mandrake wrote:As others have mentioned this engine seems to need glowplugs for every start, hot or cold
Having owned several diesel powered vehicles in the past I find this a bit odd. For an otherwise excellent engine to need the assistance of the glow plugs when at full working temperature is a little unusual, to my mind.

Even the 1970 Series 2a Land Rover with close to 500,000 miles on the clock (still on it's original engine) that I used to own would start without resorting to the glow plugs when hot. Mind you it was a bit like driving a mobile smoke screen at times :-)

Still, like I said, it's something I can live with now I understand how to deal with it and it's quirky little things like this that give cars their character.