Battery removal C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I have never had a problem jumping cars, then again i have some good sized jump leads made from heavy welding cable with heavy clips as well.

One thing I never do is leave the other car engine running. I have never found the need with decent leads.

I once helped someone out who was trying to jump his car with some cheap nasty leads. His engine was hardly turning over and they had the other car revving its brains out. I removed his rather warm jump leads, clipped mine on and turned the other car's engine off. He was amazed when his car started first turn of the key like it was on his own battery :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the problem is not the jump starting,its removing the leads from a very flat battery.
if the battery is completely dead & you get a running car with the jump leads on,start up the dead car & then remove the leads,the battery is flat so it instantly tries to get as much charge as it can which creates a surge & can damage the engine ECU,sometimes not straight away,it can happen a few days later (there are plenty of new style corsa owners that know all about this).
the correct way to jump start a car with fuel injection is to put the leads on from the running car for about 5 minutes remove the leads 1st & then try to start the car on its own battery,if it still dont work then put the leads on for longer.
The correct procedure for disconnectin batteries on multiplexed citroens is to switch ignition off for at least 2 minutes (if the car has satnav the light on the CD rom drive must also be off this can sometimes take a bit longer) to let all the ecu's power latch.on reconnecting you shoul wait 2 minutes before switching the ignition on or starting.