HDi Head Gasket *(Now with pics)*

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

It's interesting to see the gunk build up from the EGR valve, did you clean up the inlet manifold and blank the valve off? How does it drive now?

Steve.
not applicable
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well it DID drive really well after repair, but not so much better that you could say "Ah yes thats down to the EGR being disabled" for example.
I say DID drive really well, as some numpty wrote it off for me this morning on the way to work, he lost control and went head on into me at 50mph.
To say I'm gutted after all that work is an understatement, I'm positively fuming :evil: :evil: :evil:
I'm aching all over and the back of my throat is sore from the nasties from the airbags going off.

I didn't blank off the EGR, I just disconected the wiring from the solenoid valve so it was disabled.
The gunge everywhere was beyond silly, the inlet valves were covered (that valve in the picture had already been soaked in paraffin for 5 mins so had lost some gunk) and were actually in a worse state than the exhaust valves which I had not seen before!

Anyway, gotta find a new car now :evil:
2003 Xsara HDi 110 - Commuting Hack

http://www.rossy.org.uk/ - 205 Track car progress
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If you can buy it back uber cheap buy it back if the engine is salvagable and then buy one up from an auction or the like with snapped cambelt or blown headgasket and swap it over and keep it as a spare engine in reserve. the radios alone often go for a few quid on ebay and if it had alloys and a decent trim then they are other bits to sell on :)

bad news though RossD id hate to see that after all the work i have put into my Coupe or my Dads 2.1td Xantia. wouldnt mind it with the C2(its had 2shunts allready, one fire engine and another reversing fool!) and i think id be able to get a HDi Varient after the payout if it were written off :)

Good luck with the insurance co mind. i found it easier to go thru the 3rd parties insurance adn get a cover car and all from them and get our C2 repaired at the cit dealers bodyshop than elsewhere.
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

sorry to hear your news.what a tos*er was he driving like a (-expletive removed-)? :cry:
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Sorry to hear that. You must be devastated. :cry:

I would be.

Good luck with sorting it out.

Steve.
not applicable
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, devastated is a good explanation! He was driving to fast over the brow of a hill, with a slight bend at the top. I was coming the opposite way, he lost control and hit me, thats all I really remember! I didnt even have a chance to take evasive action because of the brow of the hill and the corner, I didn't see him!

Its all with the insurance at the moment, havent heard anything from them yet so might give them a call today.

I have some pictures at home, I'll post them up later. Its not a pretty sight at all :cry:
Its all I need really, my 406 was written off only in November by somebody on the M20 rear ending me and pushing me into the car in front (We had all stopped in traffic for roadworks, but the guy was fiddling with his phone I think)

Ah well, such is life!

ebod
My Cars:

Post by ebod »

Rossd, I'm even more devastated as reading your post I'm convinced my Xsara 110-HDI is showing the same symptoms as your ex 206 HDI.

Unfortunately I don't have the space/time and inclination so I'm going to sound out my local garage.
I will try a new cap first but now I've seen your post I'm less hopeful this is the cure.

The car has 122k and had its cambelt done @ 95K. I suppose its good chance to get a major overahaul done incl new water pump etc. (also its power steering pump has been whining for a year.)

I kinda wish it gets wrote off in the next few weeks to save me the financial stress :-)
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The giveaway on my headgasket was the HUGE pressure building in the system after driving it around. After a quick drive the radiator top hose was absolutely solid if you squeezed it. Also, the small explosion when you undid the expansion tank cap was a dead giveaway.

Is yours pressurising the cooling system to this extent too?

Funnily enough, my replacement for the 206 is a 2003 Xsara HDi 110!! It doesnt handle as well as the 206, but its a lot more refined and quite a bit quicker! How do you find the Xsara? (Apart from the engine trouble?!)

Plumb bob
My Cars:

Post by Plumb bob »

Did you block/disconect the erg after the rebuild to stop all that gunk build up?

Is it advisable to block the erg on an HDI? I know that it has no detrimental effects on normal turbo diesels, as it's only there for foriegn emissions regulations.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, I just unplugged the electrical plug from the solenoid. Weather that prevents it opening or not though is debatable, as the spring in the EGR valve doesnt seem very stiff, with the valve on the bench I could easily open it pushing with my finger. No doubt some high pressure exhaust will push ast at high load even when its meant to be closed.

moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Ross, thanks for posting those details - hope you get the insurance sorted asap and a new set of wheels -

Just about to undertake a cambelt change on my 2001 306HDi; for the timing is it just a case of marking the cam belt wheel and others to ensure they timed correctly?

Cheers,

David
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

rossd wrote: I didn't blank off the EGR, I just disconected the wiring from the solenoid valve so it was disabled.
I have a 306 HDi and cant find the pipe or the solenoid, can someone point it please on the photos?

Cheers,

Image[/img]
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

This is the gismo, right?

moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Well I eventually found them, theres two - disconnected both and no more smoke -

Went for its MOT and passed :wink:

If anyone needs help on finding these gimme a shout.