Xantia Mk 1: Which Headlamp bulbs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

3ps

Post by 3ps »

Hi,

I too am having problems on the back roads at the moment. I fitted +90% bulbs today and will check them on the way home tonight. Not overly hopefuly on them.

Is the proceedure above with re-wiring, fusing and relaying documented in detail anywhere???

Is it just a heavy duty wire from the battery, with a relay and a fuse and then into the headlight wire, and an earth? what is the order? (and repeat both sides too I guess!)

Thanks!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi from memory I did

(Thick black wire x 2) from Neg terminal (drilled small hole and screwed an 'eye' terminal thing into battery wire clamp...

(Thick red x 2) from Pos term

The reds both went to the 'High current-inputs' on two seperate relays

from 'high current out' on relay 1 > thick red, split into two, each wire went to both dipped beam bulbs

from 'high current out' on relay 2 thick red, split into two, each wire went to both main-beam bulbs

Both headlamp earths returned along the 2 black wires i.e. one black for each headlamp unit

Relay 1 signal wire was the original positive dipped beam wire

Relay 2 signal wire was the original positive highbeam beam wire

Relays earthed locally

its easier to draw this than describe it... bind all wiring together with zip ties, electrical tape and maybe line it above the radiator....

Scotchlocks useful... wire gauge was 15 amp I think...

:lol:
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Assuming that your car is 1995, it probably has the early headlamp lenses. Get a pair of headlamps from a 96-97 car (you will see the pattern of lines on the lens is different). The later pattern puts more light where it is needed, and also has some kick up on the left to illuminate signs.
3ps

Post by 3ps »

@jgra1: thanks. still not sure I trust myself to do it right though!

@xantia_v6: yes it is a 1995 and I have specifically noted it doesn't light up the left very well. Might give that a go if I can find a cheap set.
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Any advice on the type of relay and where to buy? Are they enclosed to insulate wires from battery or are we talking self insulation on pins in/out of relay?

Cheers
Steve
95 Xantia 20/16v 155 bhp VSX 210k
97 Saxo 1.1 SX 100k
03 S-Type Jag (sorry!)
``Only standing on the shoulders of giants - The more I know, the less I understand?? Ignorance is bliss! ''
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy1 wrote:Nearside bulb has just gone on way home tonight so can anyone suggest a new set that works better than the standard X1 set?
One out all out!!!

I heartily recommend Osram Silver Stars.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy1 wrote: OSRAM H1 SILVERSTARS £9.98 (with free 501's)
That's a good deal! A set of lamps and a pair of Levi jeans all for under a tenner :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Have a look here superloopy, I will doing mine fairly soon and this is where someone pointed me. Full of info and a couple of clear diagrams too.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html

Hope it helps