ZX TD Diesel leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xsive33
My Cars:

ZX TD Diesel leak

Post by xsive33 »

Having just recovered from a head gasket failure, I now find myself with a whiffy smell of diesel and a small deposit of fuel under the car.

Are there any common areas for fuel leaks on the ZX TD?

Cheers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Whereabouts under the car? - I had a tank vent hose leaking on our ZX when we got it - there was a split in it , just visible through one of the holes under the back seat.
jeremy
srx600

Post by srx600 »

Ive found the injector return pipes tend to split were they go into the black plastic collection chamber.
Insect

Post by Insect »

My TD Estate leaks diesel from the offside rear wheelarch if I brim the fuel tank. I assume that this is due to a leak in the filler pipe or vent system. I haven't got round to fixing it yet as it doesn't happen if I don't attempt to squeeze every last drop into the tank!
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It sounds like a vent pipe. They're fun to get at - I didn't want to drop the tank as it meant emptying it, removing the exhaust etc - so when I'd found the pipe I carefully cut a hole in the floor for access - and pop riveted a plate over it after sealing it with seam sealer. I used pop rivets as they have rounded ends and so are less likely to chafe through the tank.

To get access unbolt and remove the back seat (if you have the sliding one - its heavy, large and awkward) and the 2 plastic bungs you see give access to the gauge unit and the outlet pipes. Its possible they need new seals (not expensive from Citroen) but in fact on mine it was a split vent pipe - just out of view.
jeremy
xsive33
My Cars:

Post by xsive33 »

Thanks for the advice.

The leak is under the engine rather than the back end. I've had a look under the bonnet but can't see anything obvious.

I'll take a look at the weekend and stick it on the ramps.

Cheers.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you have a Bosch pump its unlikely to be the leakoff pipes as the thing would get air in the fuel - bad starting etc.

It doesn't make any difference if you have a roto-diesel - favorite sems to be the end cap by the thermostat - I had 2 go in the last year - just noticed a smell and fuel running over the front of the engine. Have a good look with the engine running.
jeremy