Total newbee needs advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Grimbk

Total newbee needs advice

Post by Grimbk »

i have no idea were to start looking ,iv just recently obtained a xantia TDSX estate 1.9 1996 P reg desol .and have found that the internal fan is faulty ie it is permantly blowing and can not change its speed or turn of via slider,i can alter the temp ie hot cold ,it also has air con that fails to activate ,i spoke to the ex owner who was aware of the fault and asures me he had changed the fan but this failed to rectify the problem,any ideas?
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

In the absence of any other replies I can only offer the info that my Xsara had a problem with its fan whereby it would only work on speed 4, ie. high speed. I found out it was a problem with the speed controller ...it works like a volume control and basically (so I understand) the 4th or high speed is the natural speed of the fan and anything below that is the result of the 'volume control' (if that makes sense) being turned down. Could be that yours has been bypassed so that it runs no matter what the speed control is set at. It might be something to do with the air con though and I'm afraid I don't know anything about that. Hope somebody comes on and helps you.....I get a lot of help from my local main dealer who is quite happy to 'have a look' gratis....might be worth popping into yours and see how the land lies.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

micitroen wrote:In the absence of any other replies … Hope somebody comes on and helps you.....
Fans are my patch, but I’ve become very lazy of recently. :oops:

Is the previous owner certain that he replaced it with a known good one ?
If the fan is spinning flat-out all the time, it may be the output transistors that are shorted.
The replacements are MJ11015.
There are quite a few threads on the topic here, and I’ll edit them in if and when found.
Picture of a grimy fan motor showing the speed controller with transistors, as used in the air-conditioned Xantia:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I will go along with that. Your easiest route would be a blower from a scrap car but if your OK at DIY changing the transistors is not to difficult.

I expect Clogzz will come up with the details.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

If you put ‘blower’ in the search, it turns up 147 topics.
Here is one:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19339
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389