Xantia 1.9TD BRAKE ADVICE?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

'Sintered' is the term used for the 'specks' of metal found in pads...it enables the pad to break through the film of water on a brake disc in the wet as the metal specks are always 'proud' of the rest of the surface of the pad and this reduces the time taken for the breakthrough to occur.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Hi Andrew.
Most of my driving is on rural roads, and I am in the habit of using gears to slow down. We have our fair share of non-national (East Eureopean ) drivers here-not taxed, or insured in many cases. A lot of them are going of the road as a result of our drink driving laws been enforced more & the limits having been lowered.
You are right about the clutch, it was changed at 140k
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

can these pukka pads be orderd online?
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

You can get pukka pies at all good (and not so good ) football grounds lol
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

andmcit wrote: I guess you're getting 150k miles out of a clutch too!
Funny enough, the clutch on my older Xantia lasted to 149k miles, but that was a car that spent all of its life on motorway and dual carriageway.

My front pads last about 50k miles, but I tend to cruise at a constant speed for the majority of my journey. Keeping a gap between me and the car in front and not tailgating means I can cover a good 2/3rds of my journey without touching any pedal other than the accelarator.

The right driving style can mean you can save fuel and wear and tear on the brakes and clutch without holding up other traffic, when I hold up traffic its because I'm following the speed limit and others are not....