XSARA 1.9TD 1998 Power Steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

XSARA 1.9TD 1998 Power Steering

Post by a4gom »

The wifes citroen Xsara 1.9TD has got very heavy on the steering when parking etc, seems ok when driving about. Its been a bit noisy when pushing against either lock since we got it but the growling has become worse and can start as soon as you start turning the wheel if your not moving.

I haven't had a lot of time to look at it yet as I need someone to move the steering while I track down the noise but I would assume this would be the pump on its way out? I am of course assuming it has a pump.

The fluid looks full, does this go off? thick? need replacing?

Is this going to be a New pump? Any alternative? Can I recon the pump?

Is it an easy Job?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap supplier?

Any advice gratefully received

Andy :(
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Did you know?

That power steering fluid is mineral, as is LHM so therefore in the past I have succesfully used Hydraflush in power steering systems to clean the system through.

It works wonders (in any car) and if it dont do any good at all, at least you will be putting new parts on a clean system.

I dont know 100% but I think that the pump on your car will be an electric one, if so it's a new one i'm afraid. But if it,s a belt driven pump, give Pleiades a call on 01487 831239 they overhaul the belt driven ones.

Regards
Slim
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

It's a belt driven pump, driven off the crankshaft pulley. The same belt drives the alternator.
If the pump was inactive, you would be barely able to steer it at low speeds.
The pulleys go on these pumps - and have been known to fly off - and you'll hear a rumble/screech if it's worn out.
You can easily check the pulley's condition by removing the aux drive belt and giving it a spin.
My pulley went at about 120,000 miles, and the pump was replaced. Cost about £80 as I recall.
Look after that Xsara TD - nice car!! :)
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you checked the belt tension?
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Thanks chaps, i'll do a bit more investigation in the day light over the weekend, she has reported a squeling from the alternator belt on start up so the belt and or tension could be partly to blame.

Where would I get Hydraflush from? and where is the drain point in the system?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I expect the system is similar to that on a ZX - and I had a pump go on me a few weeks back. The steering was unnaffected and the first I know was when I went to investigate a noise from the engine. I was expecting an alternator/water pump/tensioner pulley / dirty belt - but on lifting the lid I was almost relieved to find that the belt was covered in PAS fluid - so at least I knew what the problem was and wasn't going to have to mess around with cambelt tensioners etc.

Fluid loss wasn't enormous and it worked for long enough for me to get to Euro Car Parts who had a pump in stock.

The point I'm making is that pump failure is likely to be bearings and seals - rather than loss of efficiency (car's a 1.9D and has done 85,000 miles)

I wanted to drain the thing and of course had to remove the pipes from the pump but no-where enough fluid came out, despite turning the steering from side to side to expel a bit more. Haynes said something like 2.5 litres was the capacity - I think I lost less than 1!

Belt tightness is vital - and I'd check this first.
jeremy
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

had another look and the belt is tight so not that, on closer inspection the fluid is on or just below the min mark is this critical? there isn't much difference between the min and max marks?
When i took the lid of the fluid is red but there appeared to be some black residue on the end of the plastic cone thing which is fastened to the lid? general muck or disentigrated rubber o ring who knows. Think it will be worth draining, flushing and re filling before replacing the pump.

Where do you get the flushing fluid? any motor factors?
How do you drain it?

Andy
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

topped it up just in case and its made no difference, i have noticed though that the steering is heavy and noisy on tick over / low revs but if i rev say 2-2.5k its light and nearly all the noise has gone?

Think it must be the pump if there are no leaks and the belt is tight.?
Hurdsey
My Cars:

Post by Hurdsey »

Hyah Andy, so you found it then :D
Xantia gone, now got a
Renault Laguna 1.9 Dci Sport tourer
2000 Westfield SEIW 175Bhp
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Yes thanks paul, looks like a new pump :(
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

ok chaps had a bit of a dig around gsf sell the pump for £82 + £100 surcharge + vat
they charge you vat on the surcharge, i presume you get it all back when you return the old pump?
does this price seem ok? anyone know of a cheaper supplier?

thanks
andy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Euro Car Parts quote £94.50 + £45 deposit - all + Vat. The one they describe looks similar to the ZX one and in fact my local branch quoted me less than the internet shop. Deposit was refunded to my credit card when I returned the worn pump.

Interestingly they had the ZX one on the shelf - which suggested it wasn't that failure wasn't unknown.
jeremy