Flat Spheres after 6 months?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

OK, I've just been out, and can't see ANY air coming back into the reservoir. Checked two or three times and nothing.

I'm a bit stumped. I'm still not convinced that the the corner sphere isn't shot. I'm tempted to take the rears off tomorrow and swap them over and see what happens.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The corner sphere sounds as though it is shot. the trouble with regassing in UK is that new spheres are so cheap that people don't think about re-gassing them and so drive until they collapse - and damage the diaphragm. if re-gassing was a more popular option they would change them as a matter of course before they went flat and have them re-gassed
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

LeeDJC wrote:Thanks for the replies!

Now, just a bit of an update.....

When I was driving the car last night, I was sure that one side on the rear was OK, but the other was not. When I got home, I did the bounce test, and lo and behold, one side on the rear is now fine. The other is still hard as buggery! Even though they were both pretty damn hard a few days ago.

That means that 3 out of the 4 corners are now OK.

God know what the hell is going on with it. No amount of citerobics makes any difference.

I guess I'll just change the anti-sink soon, and see what happens then!
Why change the anti-sink sphere ? It wont make any difference to this problem...

Surely if one side at the rear is stiff and the other side isn't it can only be a stuffed sphere, or stuffed rear arm bearing on that side - there really aren't any other possibilities.

If the negative camber of the rear wheels at normal ride height looks equal (it should be about 1.5 degrees negative - just visible by eye) and it moves up and down smoothly at both sides without creaking or jerking when you use the height control lever, the bearings are probably fine, leaving only the sphere as a possibility.

If you're reluctant to buy a new pair of spheres (since you should replace them as a pair, even if only one is faulty, due to the left/right balance being important for handling) until you're sure, why not just swap the left and right spheres over ? For zero cost that will prove for sure where the problem lies! ;)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Mandrake wrote:
LeeDJC wrote:Thanks for the replies!

Now, just a bit of an update.....

When I was driving the car last night, I was sure that one side on the rear was OK, but the other was not. When I got home, I did the bounce test, and lo and behold, one side on the rear is now fine. The other is still hard as buggery! Even though they were both pretty damn hard a few days ago.

That means that 3 out of the 4 corners are now OK.

God know what the hell is going on with it. No amount of citerobics makes any difference.

I guess I'll just change the anti-sink soon, and see what happens then!
Why change the anti-sink sphere ? It wont make any difference to this problem...

Surely if one side at the rear is stiff and the other side isn't it can only be a stuffed sphere, or stuffed rear arm bearing on that side - there really aren't any other possibilities.

If the negative camber of the rear wheels at normal ride height looks equal (it should be about 1.5 degrees negative - just visible by eye) and it moves up and down smoothly at both sides without creaking or jerking when you use the height control lever, the bearings are probably fine, leaving only the sphere as a possibility.

If you're reluctant to buy a new pair of spheres (since you should replace them as a pair, even if only one is faulty, due to the left/right balance being important for handling) until you're sure, why not just swap the left and right spheres over ? For zero cost that will prove for sure where the problem lies! ;)

Regards,
Simon
The reason for the anti-sink sphere change is that isn't hasn't been done yet, and also someone mentioned that it *may* affect the ride quality.

I was going to change it anyway, just as a matter of course. But the idea of swapping the rear spheres over is a good one, and one that I've decided to do later on today.

I'm pretty certain (well, as certain as you can be) that the bearings are OK. So it only really leaves the spheres at fault.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000