Diesel Fuel Additive C5 2.2 51 plate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

curly
My Cars:

diesel additive

Post by curly »

My warning light came on yesterday. I rang my local cit dealer for a price of a filler kit , they told me they could not sell me it as it is classed as a dangerous substance, but they would sell it to my local workshop who could sell it to me if they so required .Has anyone had the same problem?

Going to my local garage tomorrow to see if they will get the stuff in for me.
The bloke at Cit dealer said I would have to get the computer reset at Cit dealer or the pump in tank would not know what it was doing. If your local garage has a machine to read the computer then surely your local garage can reset the computer, are Cit trying a fast one ?
Please help
Curly
p.s if the filter is self cleaning why do it need replacing ?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Buy it off another dealer then, dont know why they wouldnt sell you it.
The fluid is used to lower the temperature at which the carbon particles that get trapped in the filter burn off at as the engine/exaust cant reach the temp normally req'd. the only problem is that the fluid itself cant be burned off either & eventually clogs up the filter hence the need to 'clean' it.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

With the mk1 s there appears to be a float/level gauge in the eolys tank and the trick is to keep the tank topped up so that the low level warning does not initiate. If it does it is has to be cancelled/reset by a lexia.

With Mk2s there is no level gauge and the ecu calculates how much it has put in and how much is therefore left. When you refill the eolys tank you have to reset the contents in the ecu again via a lexia.

For the Mk1 the 4 litre kit is the best value about £90, comes with filling kit including bottle to catch overspill. You connect need to take heat shield/protector off the tank for easy access (simple job). Then remove large "bung " from what appears to be filling orifice but is actually overflow/level hole. The kit has a small bore tube with quick release coupling on one end and connector and tap for the 5l refill bottle at the other. You need to "break" the in line quick connection on the vent pipe that runs to one side of eolys tank and then connect in the refill bottle.

Raise and invert the refil bottle, open valve and refil till excess comes out the overflow into the catch bottle. Refit bungs, remake vent line and put back heat shield/protector.

I top mine up about every 30-40Kmiles. If you don't do small fuel top ups, just full tanks a 5l should do 70-80kmiles.

I had no trouble ordering a kit from my local citroen dealer.

You can remove particle filter and clean out using a pressure washer. Citroen say every 50K but from others experience looks more like at least 100k gives no problems.

Remember there is a difference between the blocked filter messages relating to carbon build up and a blocked filter due to build up of eolys debris. The former just needs a normal burn off cycle. You won't see this unless you drive very slowly or only in town. Normal driving cleans filter automatically. The latter needs a pressure wash or replacement filter.

Remember Mk1 and Mk2 use different types of Eolys, have different eolys tank capacities, have different fill up intervals, and different tank contents monitoring.

Regards

John
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

fred1 wrote:
Remember Mk1 and Mk2 use different types of Eolys, have different eolys tank capacities, have different fill up intervals, and different tank contents monitoring.

Regards

John
This actuall changed mid mk1 (around RP 9000ish), the early ones are on 50k intervals & use DPX42 fluid the later ones are on 75k intervals & use Eolys 176 (same as the mk2). The 2 fluids are not interchangeable so you must get the right type.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Good point Wheeler, I was keeping it too simple!!!

John