Modified Cars to be banned?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I'm not in favour in the slightest of "chavmobiles" - saw a perfect example yesterday. F reg Nova in a very lurid blue with the number plate moved (and no light!), exhaust the size of a spray booth extraction fan and wheels that would have looked too big on a tractor. THAT should be banned - i'd also speculate it had a 2.0 16V engine under the bonnet and probably still registered as a 1.2L...

I'm with bxbodger - my classic plaything (Reliant Scimitar SS1) was dealer converted with a turbo from new in 1985, but i've been modifying it for the last 12 years - first mod was severly uprated brakes. Wheels and tyres are only one size up on standard (a consequence of the larger brakes - i like my filling to stay where the dentist puts them), and yes, the exhaust is a bit louder, but thats due to the engine upgrades which i've done in the meantime. Each stage has taken me (not Halfords/ebay) about 3 or 4 years, because I keep ripping things off and starting again because i'm not happy with the results. I am an engineer by trade, so consequences are a big factor in any modifications.
I know that the chassis of my car will handle 300bhp without ripping apart (unlike Nova bulkheads), and that the brakes will handle track use; the springs are still standard (quite stiff anyway) but the shockers are uprated to help out. You still have to get over speed humps, you know!
I still have some weak points to address - the gearbox is now on its limit and I need to source some heavier duty diff mountings from somewhere - before the car goes back on the road.
Many of these mods are to keep it up with todays traffic, but it's mostly bringing the car to its equivalent ranking on the roads compared to how it was new.
Bodywork wise, its as it was when it left the factory - and the paint is starting to die now!

Does this make me a boy racer?
AtitudeJim
My Cars:

Post by AtitudeJim »

ive got a modified citroen c5 and i dont consider myself a chav, there's a big diferrence between a tuner and a racer, the chavs consider them selfes as racers. If anybody loves their car.. modify it , even if it just different bulbs than the standard ones.

On my car till know

Tsw evo-r with 205/40r17 tyres , i refurbed and painted the alloys

tyres are just for the time being , im waiting for 225/45r17.

changed the radio unit for a alpine 9853r + infinity sub + amp

on the headlights i replaced all bulbs... on h4 got PIAA extreme white + Philips GT150 on H7 , as result great visibility

to do very soon

are engine mods im very close to get a bmc cda, cardon dynamic airbox, to replace the airbox + ecu remap.

But before this all i had camblet kit + crankshaft pulley + alternator belt all replaced, front + rear brake pads

i have many other mods in ideia such as oil catch tank, fit a mocal 13 line oil cooler + all gauges for pressure temp and turbo boost.

Now may people think why does he do that? its my choise as a tuner, my hobby... etc... it doenst make the car unsafer... if they are prefessionaly done, and takes all of the advantages you can explore on a car.

banning tuning will make it more desirable and dangerous
standards should be set, but realistic ones too

for me is far more dangerous whatching corsa 2.0 turbos runing over 300 bhp as daily drivers as the common tuner with very few mods....
(04) Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 110hp (uk)
(90) Pug 205 1.8D (uk)
(92) Vw Polo G40 (pt)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I'm in one position only!

I dont care much for the 'type' of people who buy a very rubbish car (old saxo's, clio's, fiesta's etc etc) and then start spending thousands on a rubbish car adding plastic tat and not improving the car at all.

I dont mind people who spend money 'professionally' or 'properly' on a car to make it quicker and a better car to drive (improved handling etc).

And theres another but I cant remember :lol: :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

But it's their car and their money, and if someone wants to plaster their Fiesta or Saxo in tupperware and neons then that's their business, not mine!

Some people like show, some go, and some like both. Some people like bog-stock, but wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

That's very true, which I dont debate, just not for me....although I do question the problems it entails in terms of validated insurance, I doubt that most of these 'young in's' inform the insurance companies of the changes and theirs so many cases on Ebay where the seller informs potential buyers that it has had a bigger engine put in but the DVLA has not been informed and actually telling buyers, therefore cheaper insurance...this is the biggest part that I dislike most.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

mezuk04 wrote:I doubt that most of these 'young in's' inform the insurance companies of the changes and theirs so many cases on Ebay where the seller informs potential buyers that it has had a bigger engine put in but the DVLA has not been informed and actually telling buyers, therefore cheaper insurance...this is the biggest part that I dislike most.
Yep, and insurance claim investigators are able to spot that kind of thing a mile away.

Crash a Pug 205 Junior with an BX 16V engine and the insurance company will be so happy that they have an excuse not to pay up... 8)
ImageImage
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

For those of you who are against the modification of cars, maybe a trip to www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum would give you a different perspective on the 'scene'. Practical Performance Car magazine (PPC) is aimed at those people who would like a performace car thats practical (Ronseal anyone?) and is fairly staunchly anti-chav. They are of the opinion that a radio only gets in the way of hearing your (usually) V8 engine note!

You will find some none practical cars in there, most obviously a 27litre V12 engined Rover SD1.....

Its worth a butchers....

Pete
French car free zone....
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I've bought a couple of issues of PPC, and most of it I like..some things border on my tastes, but it's a mag i'd buy again - unlike Max Power!

I still can't understand those who will modify a shopping trolley (like a 1.1 Saxo) to the hilt, costing many 000's to make it as quick as a VTS, yet still insure it as a 1.1 "to save on insurance". Over what? The car it's now as quick as, or what it would cost if the mods were declared?

I know that standard cars are not to everyone's taste, and that a little modification here and there doesn't hurt anyone - as long as its declared. Those responsible ones of us DO declare our mods, as the last thing we want is to lose the lot should the worst happen.

I actually like the sound of what you've done, AtitudeJim - I call it "putting your stamp on it". Looking at the profile of C5's, I'm sure those wheels actually help the look!

Sending tuning "underground" by banning it will only make it worse - and more dangerous. I'm pretty sure that in Germany, mods are very much frowned upon as part of the TUV test (MOT). That might be a bit extreme, but if a UK MOT tester was given a bit more discretion on the test procedure to fail "unsafe" cars, then it might help stop the 2.0 turbo Novas. A split bulkhead should fail an MoT anyway...

Ironically there is a sort of procedure in the Uk for "unknown" (read non-type approved modifications) - its called SVA. Maybe this should be enforced more and "dubious" cars subjected to it? As I understand the SVA, just about anything is allowed, but it needs to be safe.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

SVA is as much to do with a vehicles identity as it's safety- if you reshell a car that has a VIN number, even with a standard factory issue or heritage shell, you still need to get it SVA'd, whereas you can do all sorts of outrageous modifying, and not need an SVA test.

If, for example, my bog standard BX was terminally rusty or trashed in a crash, and I transfered all my bits over to a good shell, to be legal I'd need to get it SVA'd. This is why hearses , for example, are subject to SVA.

Drop in a short-block Chevvy V8 on the other hand, with a Jag IRS at the bavck, and with a twin turbo set up for good measure, and I wouldn't need to get it SVA'd..... :roll:

This is where a lot of people come unstuck in a roadside check, when the shell's ID doesn't match what DVLA say it should be.....
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

You know what I don't like.

Hanging baskets.

If you want flowers then get a house with a garden.

:P
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

What about window boxes :?: and where do you stand on potted plants :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

^^^ ok who's been on the happy tablets :shock:
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!